PART I: ASSUMPTION OF RISK & WAIVER OF CLAIMS
In agreeing to participate in an Adaptive Expeditions program, event, course or trip, game or practice, I acknowledge, understand and appreciate the fact that sports, fitness, adventure, and both indoor and outdoor recreation activities such as rock climbing, slacklining, paddlesports, archery, ropes & challenge courses, zip lines, races, running, cycling, swimming, surfing, hiking, skateboarding, fitness and exertion activities, horseback riding, wheelchair tennis, wheelchair basketball, and travel to and from program sites, and all other such recreation activities entail risks that include but are not limited to loss or damage of personal property, injury or fatality due to trauma from impacts with other people, animals or objects, falling from heights, tipping over in a sport wheelchair, drowning, asphyxiation, allergic reactions to foods or insects, exposure to temperature extremes or inclement weather, sunburn, equipment failure, inadequate training, inadequate personal conditioning, staff mistakes and bad judgment, vehicle accidents while traveling to and from the activity site, negligence by any party, exposure to communicable diesese (such as COVID-19 and Influenza) or other similar causes. I further recognize that remote locations can delay the delivery of emergency medical services.
I have also made my own investigation of the risks associated with this program, event, course or trip, I understand these risks, and I assume them knowingly and willingly. I further understand that I can ask any leader of the program, event, course or trip for more information about the risks of the activity, and I can decline to participate at any time.
I hereby agree to hold Adaptive Expeditions, its agents, staff and other program participants harmless from any and all liability, action, claims, and damage of every kind whether caused either by negligence or risks inherent in the activity.
PART II: AUTHORIZATION FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE
In the event I am rendered unable to communicate by emergency or accident, I authorize, request and agree to accept financial responsibility for such medical and surgical services as may be necessary as well as transportation by emergency medical services.
PART III: MEDICAL INFORMATION
Through physician consultation, I am aware of my general physical condition and affirm that I am fit to participate in this program. I have informed Adaptive Expeditions about all medical concerns that might affect my ability to participate as well as all information I'd like Adaptive Expeditions to pass on to EMS or hospital staff in case of emergency. I have fully disclosed in writing all relevant medical information. I understand that anyone with severe allergies to food, plants or insects, must bring and be able to self-administer their own medication.
PART IV: Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC)
In addition to acknowledging general fitness to participate in this program, all participants must acknowledge the ability to perform the following minimal functional thresholds for safe participation:
- Wear properly fit protective equipment, such as cycling helmets, lifejackets, harnesses, face masks, gloves, wherever and whenever required by outdoor recreation industry standards
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Not require external back / spine bracing
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance. A reasonable amount of assistance is determined in part by environmental factors and the safety of participants, instructors, staff and volunteers. Reasonable assistance will not fundamentally alter the nature of the program.
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
All water-based program participants (including all paddlesports, surfing, and ski programs) must additionally acknowledge the ability to perform the following:
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
Paddlesports, surfing, and ski program participants must also acknowledge the ability to perform the following in the water:
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Get in / out or of on / off of a paddlecraft, surfboard, or ski independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Independently wet-exit (i.e., get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft, surfboard or ski)
- Reenter the paddlecraft, surfboard, or ski following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills and activities listed in the appropriate course description, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
Water ski program participants must also acknowledge the ability to perform the following:
- Your body must be able to sustain the impact of falling into the water at speeds up to 25 miles per hour
Note: Instructors may include additional safety-based EEC given environmental conditions where a specific course is being held. For example, programming in cold water venues may include the additional EEC that participants acknowledge that they can tolerate X degree water for X period of time.
By signing this document I thereby acknowledge both general fitness to participate as well as the ability to perform the minimal functional thresholds for safe participation (EEC) for the program for which I am registering. Further, I acknowledge my ability and willingness to alert Adaptive Expeditions staff or volunteers if at any point in time I reassess my general fitness to participate or my ability to perform these minimal functional thresholds for safe participation.
PART IV: MEDIA RELEASE
I grant permission to the Adaptive Expeditionsto use photographs, motion pictures, recordings, or any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose.