Whole Body Cryotherapy
With Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) the body is exposed to ultra-low temperatures, triggering a systemic anti-inflammatory response. This modality was first utilized in Japan in 1978 to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Studies conducted over the last two decades have established WBC as a powerful treatment for inflammatory disorders and injuries. The accelerated production of collagen improves skin elasticity and texture, reversing skin aging and the appearance of cellulite.
WBC boosts the body's metabolic rate, accelerating weight loss outcomes.
The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of cryotherapy can drastically improve joint disorders such as rheumatoid- and osteoarthritis. Athletes are using whole body cryotherapy to recover from injuries and improve their performance.
Skin exposure to temperatures below 200 degrees Fahrenheit triggers the systemic release of anti-inflammatory cytokines, and decreases circulating pro-inflammatory cytokines. This internal response decreases inflammation in all areas of the body.
The rapid cooling of the skin activates the production of collagen (similar to lasers treatments of the face, where very hot temperatures are used). The skin regains elasticity and becomes smoother and more even-toned, significantly improving conditions such as cellulite and skin aging. Skin vessels and capillaries undergo severe vasoconstriction (to keep the core temperature from dropping), followed by vasodilation after the procedure. Toxins and other stored deposits are ushed out of the layers of the skin and blood perfusion is improved. The anti-inflammatory properties of cryotherapy are also used to treat chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
The extreme cold exposure causes to the body to turn up its metabolic rate in order to produce heat. This effect lasts for hours to days after the procedure, causing the body to 'burn' up to 800 calories following the procedure. After several procedures, the increase in metabolic rate tends to last longer. Another 'survival reaction' to the extreme temperatures is the release of endorphins (hormones) that have analgesic and anti- inflammatory properties, and improve mood disorders. WBC has been studied for the successful treatment of medication resistant depressive disorders.
Cryotherapy improves the function of the immune system and decreases stress levels.
Safety Instructions for Whole Body Cryotherapy:
1. You must wear cotton or wool socks (and underwear for men) to avoid chilblain (provided by Cryotherapy of The Pines).
2. Treatments are limited to 3 minutes per session. Overexposure to the cold temperatures may cause chilblain;
3. During treatment, you must avoid inhaling the nitrogen fumes; while non-toxic, they are devoid of oxygen and may cause fainting;
4. During treatment, you must keep your hands visible to the operator at the upper rim of the cryochamber as instructed;
5. You may end the procedure at any time if you experience any problems or anxiety;
6. Abnormal skin sensitivity to cold may be caused by certain foods, cosmetics, or medication, including but not limited to the following: Tranquilizers, High blood pressure medication;
7. A person who is less than (18) years of age may not use whole body cryotherapy without parental consent
8. It is important not to shave expose areas within 8 hours of a session.
Contraindications to using Cryotherapy:
Pregnancy, severe Hypertension (BP> 180/100), acute or recent myocardial infarction, unstable angina pectoris, arrhythmia, symptomatic cardiovascular disease, cardiac pacemaker, peripheral arterial occlusive disease, cold-activated asthma, venous thrombosis, acute or recent cerebrovascular accident, uncontrolled seizures, Raynaud's Syndrome, fever, Cryoglobulinemia, Cryo briongenemia, Agammaglobulinemia, Active Cancer, DVT, Acute infections, Certain medications (antipsychotic, alcohol), Cold intolerance/allergy to cold, Damaged skin, Claustrophobia, Hypothyroidism, symptomatic lung disorders, bleeding disorders, severe anemia, infection, claustrophobia, cold allergy, age less than 18 years (parental consent to treatment needed), acute kidney and urinary tract diseases.
Heart valve malfunction, Arrhythmia, Angina, A history of vein thrombosis and clotting, Excessive sweating
Risks of whole body cryotherapy/cryofacial/local cryotherapy:
Fluctuations in blood pressure (whole body cryotherapy only, due to peripheral vasoconstriction, blood pressure may brie y increase by up to 10 points systolically during treatment), allergic reaction to extreme cold (rare), anxiety, temporary redness of the skin, chillblain/skin burns/ scarring (very rare).
Waiver of Liability and hold Harmless Agreement:
1. In consideration for using the cryotherapy treatments/machines (Equipment), I hereby release, waive, discharge, and hold harmless Cryotherapy of the Pines, its officers, servants, agents, employees and volunteers (hereinafter referred to as releasees) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, that may be sustained by any person, while using the equipment or due to the use of the equipment.
2. I hereby confirm that no warranty or guarantee, or other assurance, has been made to me covering the results of the cryotherapy treatments, and I hereby relieve them and hold them harmless from all liabilities for injury or damage that may occur to me. I fully understand the administration of the process, including possible adverse reactions, side e ects, or other possible complications. It is understood that this consent is being given in advance of any administration of the process, and is being given by me voluntarily to use the Equipment.
3.I am fully aware of the risks and hazards connected with the use of the Equipment, including the risk of physical injury or disability as the result of such injury, and I am voluntarily participating in said Equipment usage, and entering the above named premises to engage in such usage. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risks of loss, property damage or personal injury that may be sustained, or any loss or damage to property as a result of being engaged in such an activity. I further hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the releasees from any loss, liability, damage or costs that may incur due to the use of Equipment by me.
4. It is my express intent that this Release and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assignees and personal representative, if I am not alive, and shall be deemed as a release, waiver, and discharge of the above named releasees. I hereby further agree that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of North Carolina.
5. I understand that the releasees will not be responsible for any medical costs associated with any injury.
6. I understand that the Equipment is designed for fittness and appearance enhancing use only by persons in good general health. I have been advised that if I suffer from any medical condition or illness whatsoever, I am not to use the Equipment without my doctor's written permission.
My signature below constitutes my acknowledgment that (1) I have read, understand, and fully agree to the foregoing consent, (2) the proposed cryotherapy process has been satisfactorily explained to me and I have all of the information I desire and (3), I hereby give my authorization and consent. This consent shall stand as long as I use the Equipment at the location now and in the future.
I have read the instructions for proper use of the facilities and do so at my own risk and hereby release the owners, operators, franchisers, or manufacturers, from any damage or harm that I might incur due to use of the facilities.
In signing this release, I acknowledge and represent that I have read and understand the foregoing Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement, I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; and I execute this Release for full, adequate, and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.
Furthermore, I agree that I will comply with all instructions on the use of the cryotherapy devices and that I am using these services at my own risk. I agree to use all sessions within the terms of the contract dates and understand that refunds are not given on unused portions of purchased packages.