WARNING! By signing this document you will waive certain legal rights. Please read carefully
- This is a binding legal agreement; therefore clarify any questions or concerns before signing. As a participant in the sport of skateboarding and the spectating, training, competition, orientation, coaching, instruction, activities, programs, and services of Riders on Board (Snowboarding) Ltd. (collectively the “Activities”), the undersigned acknowledges and agree to the following terms:
- Riders on Board and its directors, officers, committee members, members, employees, coaches, contractors, volunteers, officials, participants, agents, sponsors, owners/operators of any facility or course used by Riders on Board (Snowboarding) Ltd, and representatives (collectively the “Organization”) are not responsible for any injury, personal injury, damage, property damage, expense, loss of income or loss of any kind suffered by a Participant during, or as a result of, the Activities, caused in any manner whatsoever including, but not limited to, the negligence of the Organization
I have read and agree to be bound by paragraphs 1 and 2.
Description and Acknowledgement of Risks
- I understand and acknowledge that the Activities have foreseeable and unforeseeable inherent risks, hazards and dangers that no amount of care, caution or expertise can eliminate, including without limitation, the potential for serious bodily injury, permanent disability, paralysis and loss of life. The sport of skateboarding is difficult and dangerous.
- I understand and acknowledge that a pertinent risk to participating in the sport of skateboarding is the risk of suffering serious head injury should I fall, trip or stumble onto the ground or hit an obstruction. I acknowledge that at all times while skateboarding I am required and have been advised to wear a protective skateboarding helmet that is certified for skateboarding.
- I am participating voluntarily in the Activities. In consideration of my participation, I hereby acknowledge that I am aware of the risks, dangers and hazards associated with or related to the Activities. The risks, dangers and hazards include, but are not limited to:
b) Executing strenuous and demanding physical techniques;
c) Vigorous physical exertion, strenuous cardiovascular workouts and rapid movements and stops;
d) Exerting and stretching various muscle groups;
e) The failure to properly use any piece of equipment or from the mechanical failure of any piece of equipment;
f) Death, serious neck and spinal cord injuries which may render me permanently paralyzed, brain damaged;
g) Serious injury to virtually all bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons and other aspects of body, general health and well-being;
h) Abrasions, sprains, strains, fractures, or dislocations;
i) Concussion or other head injuries, including but not limited to, closed head injury or blunt head trauma;
j) Gravitational forces and performing aerial maneuvers;
k) Physical contact with other participants, spectators, equipment, hazards, ramps, rails and half-pipes;
l) Impact or collision with walls, rails, floor, any other features within the skating area and other persons, including other skateboarders, racers, spectators, participants, competitors or officials;
m) Slipping, stumbling or falling while performing tricks within the skating area, on mini-ramps, half pipes, quarter pipes, banks and flat ground;
n) Not wearing appropriate safety equipment, such as helmet, elbow and knee pads and wrist guards/braces;
o) Equipment breakage including broken boards, nuts, screws, wheels and trucks;
p) Skateboarding on uneven or irregular surfaces or debris on surfaces;
q) Failure to act safely or within one’s ability or within designated areas;
r) Negligence of other persons, including other skateboarders, racers, spectators, participants, competitors, or officials;
s) Weather conditions which may result in frostbite, hypothermia, reduced visibility, or additional hazards;
t) Travel to and from competitive events and associated non-competitive events which are an integral part of the Organization’s Activities; and
u) The negligence on the part of the Organization, including failure on the part of the Organization to take reasonable steps to safeguard or protect me from the risks, dangers and hazards associated with my participation in the Activities.
- In consideration of the Organization allowing me to participate in the Activities, I agree:
a) That my physical condition is appropriate to participate in the Activities;
b) To comply with the rules and regulations for participation in the Activities;
c) To comply with the rules of the course, facility, or competition;
d) That if I observe an unusual significant hazard or risk, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of an Organization representative immediately;
e) That the Organization does not undertake to provide health, accident, disability, hospitalization, personal property or other insurance for me in the Activities and I affirm that I have ascertained appropriate insurance to protect myself;
f) The risks associated with the Activities are increased when I am impaired and I agree not to participate if impaired in any way;
g) That certain movements or actions cannot always be anticipated or controlled and therefore cannot be avoided or prevented through safety measures. I am aware of the physical exertion required to participate in the Activities, and I am aware that this exertion may activate, re-activate or aggravate pre-existing injuries, conditions, symptoms or congenital defects;
h) That it is my sole responsibility to assess whether any Activities are too difficult for me. By commencing an Activity, I acknowledge and accept the suitability and conditions of the Activity; and
i) That I am responsible for the choice of my equipment and for the selection of my line through the course and my ability to handle this line, inclusive of inverted air maneuvers.
Release of Liability and Disclaimer
- In consideration of the Organization allowing me to participate, I agree:
a) The sole responsibility for my safety remains with me;
b) To ASSUME all risks arising out of, associated with or related to my participation;
c) That I am not relying on any oral or written statements made by the Organization or their agents, whether in brochure, advertisement or in individual conversations to agree to be involved in the Activities;
d) To WAIVE any and all claims that I may have now or in the future against the Organization;
e) To freely ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME all such risks and possibility of personal injury, death, property damage, expense and related loss, including loss of income, resulting from my participation in the activities, events and programs of the Organization;
f) To FOREVER RELEASE, REMISE, DISCHARGE, INDEMNIFY AND SAVE HARMLESS the Organization from any and all liability for any and all claims, demands, actions, damages (including direct, indirect, special and/or consequential), losses, expense or injury including death, actions, judgments, and costs (including legal fees) (collectively, the “Claims”) which I may have or may in the future, that might arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in the Activities, spectating or merely attending an Activity, even though such Claims may have been caused by any manner whatsoever, including but not limited to, the negligence, gross negligence, negligent rescue, omissions, carelessness, breach of contract and/or breach of any statutory duty of care of the Organization including, but not limited to any duty of care owed under any applicable occupiers liability legislation;
g) That negligence includes failure on the part of the Organization to take reasonable steps to safeguard or protect me from the risks, dangers and hazards associated with the Activities; and
h) This release, waiver and indemnity is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law of the Province of Alberta and if any portion thereof is held invalid, the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
I have read and agree to be bound by paragraphs 3-7
I acknowledge that I have read and understand this agreement, that I have executed this agreement voluntarily, and that this agreement is to be binding upon myself, my heirs, spouse, children, parents, guardians, next of kin, executors, administrators and legal or personal representatives.
I have read and agree to be bound by paragraphs 8
Date: February 27, 2024