TODAY'S DATE: May 22, 2018
Cabrillo Beach Yacht Clubs Friday Sailing Program is open to all levels of youth sailors, from Beginners to Advanced Racers, there is a spot for you to join. Opti Trainers and Optimists are available to anyone wanting to come down. The Friday Program is a great way to lead young sailors into the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club Youth Race Team. This is a fun after school program that runs all year long!
- Opti Trainers are used for Beginner sailors. The Opti Trainers are a durable plastic version of the Optimist.
- The Optimist, designed to be safe, durable and competitive, is the boat sailed by the Intermediate and Advanced class. The skills the Optimist fosters can be directly translated into other classes later on.
- CFJ's will be used for Club High School Sailing and Sailors training for CFJ Club sailing.
Students must be confident swimmers. A swim test will be given on the first day of class. No exceptions will be made to this requirement. A completed participation waiver and medical form must be on file.
Parents are expected to inform their children that proper self discipline is required while in the program. All sailors and parents will sign a Code of Conduct. Violations of safety or other program rules will result in disciplinary action including suspension or dismissal from the program without a refund. CBYC is committed to maintaining a safe and positive environment for its participants.
The program is open to any youth interested in learning how to sail. Participants must be at least eight years of age.
Semester 1: September 8th - December 15th
Semester 2: January 5 - May 11
Practice will be held from 3:30 to 6:00, Students are not excused until all boats are put away, No sailing on school Holidays.
Sailing with Coaching is $375 per Semester.
*Cost includes: Use of boats and facilities during practice including weekends and local regattas. Sailors not enrolled in the semester will be charged a daily coaching fee, $50 per day.
Racers are required to become CBYC Jr. Members. Membership is $32 per year and a onetime $25 initiation fee.
Scholarships are available upon written request to Cabrillo Beach Youth Sailing Club based on financial need.
Scholarship Application can be found On-line. (www.cbyc.org/jrsailing/home/scolarships.html)
Our youth sailors have a great time participating in this program. Many return from year to year. We hope your child will join us for this safe and fun filled, learning experience.
Head Coach, CBYC
(310) 519-1694 ext. 201
CONSENT FOR TREATMENT
I do hereby authorize and consent to any x-ray examination, anesthetic, medical or surgical diagnosis or procedure rendered under the general or specific supervision of any member of the medical staff or of a dentist licensed under the provisions of the Education Law and/or Public Health Law of the State of California and on the staff of any hospital holding a current operating certificate issued by the Department of Health of the State of California. It is understood that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment or hospital care being required but is given to provide authority and power to render care with the aforementioned physician in the exercise of his/her best judgment may deem advisable. It is understood that effort shall be made to contact the above people prior to rendering treatment to the patient, but that any of the above treatment will not be withheld if any of these people can not be reached
Assumption of Risk Liability Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement
Please Read Carefully
1. I, the undersigned, am a parent having legal custody/ person having legal custody or guardian of the following minor
2. I wish to voluntarily involve the above minor in the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club Youth Sailing Program activities. In consideration of the minor's participation in this voluntary recreational activity and use of CBYC/CBYSC equipment, I acknowledge and agree as follows:
3. To the fullest extent permitted by law, I promise not to sue, I forever release and agree to indemnify and hold harmless CBYC/CBYSC from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, losses, costs and expenses including attorney fees, for personal injury to the minor or any other person and/or loss of any property, arising from the minor's participation in the sailing program and shore side activities and any active or passive negligence of CBYC/CBYSC, such as negligent rescue.
4. I represent that the minor is in good health, is able to undertake sailing activities, and can swim well enough in the event his/her boat capsizes to avoid any resulting danger. I further represent that the minor is capable of comprehending instruction, following directions and observing proper safety precautions. I agree to abide by the decisions of the CBYC/CBYSC Board of Directors if he/she finds it necessary to discipline or dismiss the minor for lack of attention misbehavior or failure to follow safety precautions.
5. For the purpose of the Agreement, CBYC/CBYSC shall include its directors, officers, employees, agents, and committee persons of any of them. If any term of this Agreement is held invalid, the remaining terms shall continue in full force and effect. This Agreement shall survive the termination of the minors participation in CBYC/CBYSC Youth Sailing Program activities.
By signing below, I certify that I have carefully read and fully understand this agreement. I am aware that this is a broad release of liabilities and indemnity agreement and I sign of my own free will without any inducement or assurance of any kind.
Sailor Code of Conduct
I promise to maintain a positive attitude and to be responsible for my conduct at all times while participating in Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club Junior Program activities and will follow these rules and regulations and any other rules given by my coach:
- I will treat my team members, coaches, competitors, regatta officials, hosts and all others with respect, regardless of race, religion, gender, or abilities. I understand that I may expect similar treatment from others
- I understand Unsportsmanlike conduct on or off the water will not be tolerated, I will encourage good sportsmanship from fellow sailors, coaches and parents.
- I will never leave my training site or lodgings without first obtaining my coachs or hosts personal permission. I understand that it is not permissible to have another person convey a member that I am leaving, that I am solely and personally responsible for obtaining prior consent.
- I understand that I am required to wear a life jacket on the water and on the docks.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- I understand that the grounds, buildings, trailers, coach boats and equipment a are the property of CBYC, or are private property of other sailors. I will treat this property with respect and will not damage, harm or abuse this property, or use it against its intended purpose. I will not pirate the boats of others, or use gear or equipment of others without permission. I will be responsible for damages to other peoples property or club owned property incurred by my abuse or negligence.
- I will follow all safety procedures given by my coaches and other responsible adults, understanding the paramount importance of safety. I will notify a coach or other responsible adult if I feel that another sailor is in danger.
- Boat hoists are only to be operated by members of the club 16 years or older, younger participants should stay clear of hoists.
- Club boats may only be used with prior permission of an instructor, club manager or club dock master.
- Youth sailors may not invite outsiders to use CBYCs clubhouse, dry storage yard or equipment without their presence. Youth sailors are not permitted to play with knives or guns of any kind, or objects of any nature that could endanger or harm another person.
- I will behave and dress at all times in a manner consistent with the high standards expected of my yacht club, team, of my country, and of myself
- I will not use, or tolerate the use by other team members, of alcohol, tobacco, or non-prescribed drugs, understanding that a drug-free environment is needed in order to achieve individual and team success
- I will follow the fundamental rules of fair sailing and display good sportsmanship on the water all times.
DISCIPLINARY ACTION AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION WILL BE DETERMINED IN ORDER AS FOLLOWS
1. The instructor and student will work to resolve the issue. (to allow our sailors to learn personal responsibility, they must communicate with instructors and work to resolve all issues on this level) Depending on severity of the conflict or issue, student may be excused from practice.
2. If an issue is unresolved or continued abuse of the rules will result in a conference with the Head Instructor, parent(s) or legal guardian and student.
3. If a problem continues after step one and two, the acting Jr. Committee Chair as head of the Junior Sailing Program or a member of the Board of Directors will meet with the sailor and parent(s) to take appropriate action. The parents may appeal to the CBYC Commodore if they disagree with the action taken.
Please note that since the student and the coach are the only two people who work together on a regular basis, both should be included in all communications.