Read carefully before initialing where applicable and signing
WARNING: Although precautions are taken to provide proper organization and suitable equipment so that you have a safe and enjoyable experience, there can be no guarantee of absolute safety against injury and accident. There are significant elements of risk in any adventure, sport, or activity associated with the outdoors or wilderness including but not limited to bicycling, backpacking, camping, caving, hiking, rock face climbing, skiing, water sports, the use of watercraft (all referred to herein as “activity”), and the use of related equipment. Added to this is the potential exposure to the coronavirus. Virtual events through the means of online platforms present risks that should be considered.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISKS to biking, backpacking, camping, caving, hiking, technical climbing, skiing, water sports, use of watercraft, and any other activities facilitated by Washington Women Outdoors although not specifically listed. I recognize that having proper equipment/clothing, and using equipment/clothing properly specific to the activity may reduce the risk of injury, and I agree to wear activity- and weather-appropriate safety equipment/clothing. I recognize that there are inherent dangers in the activities and that the risks may result in serious personal injury or death or property damage due to hazards that include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Uneven or unstable road or trail surfaces, trees, branches, curbs, rocks, stones, gravel, mud, water, oil and/or other objects in the roadway, on the ground and on either side of the road, including resultant tire puncture; (2) Slippery conditions associated with fog drip, rain, sleet, ice, or snow, including malfunction or failure of brakes due to wetness or extremes of temperature; (3) The presence of motor vehicles, other bicycles and bicycle riders, the speed at which I travel, and my sense of balance, physical coordination, and ability to control the bicycle and myself, or follow directions; (4) Head, neck, and/or spinal injuries as a result of falling, upset, overturn or collision. I realize that wearing an approved safety helmet may reduce the chance of head, neck or spinal injury and I agree to wear one while riding. (5) Falls;
(6) Cold weather related injuries; (7) Varying snow, wind, ice, avalanche and varying weather conditions; (8) Heat related illnesses including heat exhaustion and heat stroke; (9) Altitude related sicknesses including acute mountain sickness, pulmonary edema, cerebral edema, and/or retinal hemorrhage; (10) An “act of nature” which may include avalanche, rock fall, crevasse fall, and severe temperature or winds; (11) The presence of objects, wholly or partially obstructed from view, and the thickness or stability of snow, snow ledges, and/or ice;
(12) River crossings, or travel including travel to or from the activity; (13) Risk associated with crossing, climbing, or down climbing rock, snow, or ice; (14) Varied diet and water source; (15) The presence of insects or wild animals; (16) My physical coordination, ability to control myself and equipment or speed, the speed at which I travel, the presence of other participants; (17) Collisions, falls and equipment failure; (18) Unintended separation/isolation from the group. (19) Changing water flow or currents; (20) Natural or manmade objects whether submerged, semi-submerged, floating or overhanging; (21) Inclement weather, varied or severe wind, temperature, and weather conditions;
(22) Stability characteristics of my watercraft, and my physical coordination and ability to control the craft, myself, and follow directions; (23) Getting into or out of the watercraft; (24) Collision, capsizing or sinking which can result in wetness, injury, exposure, hypothermia, and/or drowning. I agree to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device while in or upon the water.
EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY: I am at all times fully and solely responsible for my own safety and am fully and solely responsible for the safety and well-being during trips and activities for any minor children for whom I am responsible conducted under the auspices, sponsorship or leadership of Washington Women Outdoors, its officers, agents and members, and in transit to and from such activities.
I acknowledge that Washington Women Outdoors volunteers who lead activities, trips, or events are not professional leaders, guides or instructors, and should not be regarded as such. I agree that I am solely responsible for my own safety and for any minor children at all times when participating in activities, and should consider and evaluate my (or, in the case of minor children, his/her/their) ability to handle the conditions present at all times.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONTAGIOUS NATURE OF THE GLOBAL SARS-CoV-2 PANDEMIC/ COVID 19: WWO has provided guidelines about participating in WWO activities, and has placed reasonable preventative measures in place, particularly concerning the contagious nature of the global SARS-Co2 Pandemic. In spite of these measures, I may be exposed to the coronavirus and other flus and diseases, and I voluntarily assume the risk. Such exposure may result in personal injury, illness, disability or death. Even though I am participating in a WWO activity, I acknowledge I am abiding by local and state regulations that may be applicable to my personal situation. I acknowledge that event participant limits and social distancing rules, including wearing of masks, are set by local and state orders in effect, and are managed by the trip leader.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR PARTICIPATING IN VIRTUAL EVENTS: WWO will take steps to make online events as secure as possible. These steps include controlling access to the event by requiring registration to control who attends; only sharing the link to the online event once an attendee is registered; including a password or other authentication requirement for attendees to access the event; using a webinar/virtual meeting platform that includes security features; adjusting account settings for maximum security. WWO will share guidelines for behaviors attendees are expected to demonstrate and will articulate each attendee's responsibility for ensuring the safety and security of the event. In spite of these measures, virtual meetings, the online platforms and the technology will pose risks that I voluntarily assume. I specifically acknowledge and agree not to share the logon credentials to any online event hosted by WWO.
In consideration for being permitted to participate in these activities and for other good and valuable considerations, the receipt of which I hereby acknowledge, I AGREE TO:
- RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE AND CONVENANT NOT TO SUE WASHINGTON WOMEN OUTDOORS, Washington Women Outdoors trip initiators and leaders, officers, agents and all members of Washington Women Outdoors, all trip participants (collectively referred to as RELEASEES) for ALL CLAIMS OF LIABILITY for injury, death, property damage or other losses, causes of action, suits and liabilities of any kind, including the expenses of litigation, court costs and attorney’s fees now or in the future, as a result of my participation in these activities or activities incidental thereto, EVEN IF CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES.
- RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE AND CONVENANT NOT TO SUE RELEASEES for any injury, death, property damage or other loss arising from the negligent provision of any medical services following any accident.
- INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASEES from all claims of liability for any injury, death, property damage or other loss I incur EVEN IF CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK—I acknowledge the dangers in the activities and I voluntarily ASSUME ALL RISKS, BOTH KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, for myself and for any minor children for whom I am responsible, AND ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY for injury, death, property damage or other loss EVEN IF CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES. I am free of any medical condition that might create undue risk in others or myself who might depend upon me in these activities.
In the event that I and any minor children for whom I am responsible are injured during a Washington Women Outdoors activity, I give permission for activity participants to administer first aid and to seek medical assistance as deemed necessary. I either have appropriate insurance or, in its absence, agree to pay all costs of rescue and/or medical services as may be incurred on my/our behalf.
I agree that any film or photographs of me/us, as participants, become the property of Washington Women Outdoors and may be used for promotional or commercial purposes.
I agree that this RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the District of Columbia , and that this RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY shall by governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the District of Columbia . I agree that if there is any dispute with Washington Women Outdoors, it will be resolved by binding arbitration in the District of Columbia, based upon the rules of the American Arbitration Association and District of Columbia law. I agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Release shall by held to be invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of this Release which shall continue to be enforceable.
I have carefully read ALL PAGES of this agreement and fully understand its contents. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY OF ALL RELEASEES AND THAT BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING VALUABLE LEGAL RIGHTS. I understand and freely sign this agreement and agree that no oral representations, statements, or inducements have been made apart from the foregoing agreement. This AGREEMENT shall bind my heirs, executors, assigns, legal representatives, and family members.
This RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY shall remain valid, in effect and applicable to all trips with Washington Women Outdoors, now and in the future for the duration of my paid and active membership in Washington Women Outdoors, or at least the next 360 days. I recognize I need to review the details of this document each time I participate on a trip.
Failure or refusal to complete this online Waiver may cause you to be ineligible to participate on our events.
Today's Date: October 16, 2021