Activity: Rock climbing
Rock climbing can be a dangerous activity. We are here to ensure that you enjoy your climbing and stay safe. To do this, we need your help.
I declare that:
- I understand that the activity I am participating in can be dangerous and cause injury or death.
- I understand that once I have completed the safety briefing by the staff at Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre, I am responsible for my own safety when climbing.
- I understand that my conduct and behaviour must not endanger myself or others participating in the activity. Therefore, I willnot engage in any activity beyond my capabilities that may cause endangerment.
- I understand that, if I am uncertain how to operate anyequipment, it is my responsibility to get clarification from staff before I climb.
- I understand that Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre staff reserve the right to remove me from belaying if my technique does not meet facility standard.
- I certify that I am in good health, both physically and mentally fit to be able to safely participate in this activity. I agree to notify the staff of Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre of any health or medical concerns that may affect the safety of my participation in this activity.
- I agree to bring any concerns or unusual significant hazards I observe to the attention of the staff on the day.
- I understand that I must be at least 8 years old to belay on the rock-climbing wall.
- I understand that I must be 14 years or older to climb without direct supervision by a parent/guardian, unless I am participating in a supervised activity (Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre climbing class or EOTC programme only).
- As a supervising parent/guardian, I additionally acknowledge that I am personally responsible for the health, safety and welfareof my child/youngperson while climbingand the role of Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre is to support me in this.
- I have read, understood and agree to abide by the facility and activity rules outlined by the Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre. I understand that failure to do so only increases the risk of my safety and others, and I may be removed from the premises as a result.
Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre Climbing Wall rules
- Report to reception on each visit before you climb.
- Respect other users of this facility.
- Belayers and climbers must always be harnessed and clipped.
- All equipment must be used in the correct way as shown by the staff of this facility during the safety briefing.
- Do not climb up the belay ropes, or support structures.
- The mats are there to lessen your impact in case of a fall and therefore must not be used for jumping or gymnastics activities
- All karabiners attached to top rope climbers must be clipped back to one another upon finishing climb.
- The belayer must always ensure the rope is tensioned for the climber while climbing.
- When bouldering climbers must receive orientation by a staff member.
- Ensure both karabiners are clipped to the climber’s harness.
- Footwear must be worn on all climbing walls.
- Do not run in the climbing area.
- You must be 8 years old or over to belay.
- Lead climbers must clip onto all quickdraws on the route you are climbing.
Parent/guardian for child/ren under 14:
- As a parent/guardian I hereby declare I am 14 years of age or older and have read, understood and accept the aforementioned conditions on behalf of my child/ren/young person.
- Asa parent/guardian I additionally acknowledge that Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre is not responsible for the health, safety or welfare of my child/ren/young person.
I also give my authority for photographs to be taken of myself/child participating in programmes run by Auckland Council Pools and Leisure that may be used for future promotional purposes. I understand that Auckland Council Pools and Leisure has no financial commitment or obligation regarding the use of these photographs.
Today's Date: January 26, 2020