PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT, RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK
In consideration of the services of Kitty Hawk Kites, Inc., their agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as "KHK"), I hereby agree to release, indemnify, and discharge KHK, on behalf of myself, my spouse, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
1. I acknowledge that my participation in zip line, climbing wall, ropes course, swimming, hiking and backpacking activities entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the activity.
The risks include, among other things: slipping and falling; the hazards of walking on uneven terrain; rope course programs are based on the “challenge by choice” principle. At any time you and/or your group are free to withdraw from participation in ropes course activities and its potential for rope burns; pinches, scrapes, twists and jolts that could result in scratches, bruises, sprains, lacerations, fractures, concussions, or even more severe life threatening injuries; the use of ropes, harnesses, and other equipment; the forces of nature, including lightning and rapid weather changes; the risk of falling from significant heights, standing or walking near slopes and steep cliffs; the hazards of walking on uneven terrain; exposure to temperature and weather extremes which could cause hypothermia, hyperthermia (heat related illnesses), heat exhaustion, sunburn, dehydration; exposure to potentially dangerous wild animals, insect bites, drowning; and hazardous plant life; my own physical condition, and the physical exertion associated with this activity.
Furthermore, KHK employees have difficult jobs to perform. They seek safety, but they are not infallible. They might be unaware of a participant's fitness or abilities. They might misjudge the weather or other environmental conditions. They may give incomplete warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction.
2. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
3. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless KHK from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity or my use of KHK's equipment or facilities, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of KHK.
4. Should KHK or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
5. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have.
6. In the event that I file a lawsuit against KHK, I agree to do so solely in the state of North Carolina, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining document shall remain in full force and effect.
By signing this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against KHK on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I also agree that this document is valid for subsequent visits and participation at KHK.
I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood it, and I agree to be bound by its terms.