HOW TO COMPLETE THIS FORM
This form is designed for the high school student participant - who is in the 9th through 12th grade and under the age of 18 - to sign all acknowledgements in the body of this form.
The Parent or Guardian of this minor participant in the Cappies Program is required to sign in one location under "Parent or Guardian's Signature." The Parent(s) or court-appointed legal guardian(s) signature indicates agreement that they and the minor are subject to all the terms of this document, as set forth below. Parents or Guardians should note that they are responsible for reading all content of this form, including content that is specifically written for their acknowledgement, which is captured through their signature at the end under the "Parent or Guardian's Signature" section.
I, as a Cappies Critic participant and a high school student who is either actively enrolled or explicitly approved by the respective Critic Team school Advisor to serve on my Critic Team school, understand that at least one adult who is my legal guardian must also complete - via the instructions outlined above - this 2019-2020 Cappies Student and Parental Agreements waiver by Wednesday, 9/25, before I can participate in the Cappies Program. I understand that to access the "Parent or Guardian's Signature" section, I must complete the student participant signatures, and then select "Minor" at the bottom of the initial waiver page to proceed. I also understand that this form is not regarded as fully complete until I verify my eMail address and receive formal confirmation from SmartWaiver.com that my waiver has been submitted via eMail bearingthe following text: "Congratulations! Your email address has been confirmed and copies of Cappies of Greater Cincinnati: 2019-2020 Student and Parent Agreements for [YOUR NAME] have been sent to all parties to the agreement."
October 27, 2021
AGREEMENT 1: PARENTAL AUTHORIZATION FORM ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
I, as a Cappies Critic participant and a high school student who is either actively enrolled or explicitly approved by the respective Critic Team school Advisor to serve on my Critic Team school, understand that my parent must read the Parental Authorization (text listed immediately below in green italics) and agree to the Parental Authorization terms via electronic signature under the "Parent or Guardian's Signature" section at the end for this form before I can participate in the Cappies Program.
I also understand that my role as a Cappies critic requires me to hold myself to the highest ethical standards. I have not, and will not collaborate(d) with my fellow critics in order to perform my Cappies critic duties. I will evaluate critics choices and ultimately cast my votes for awards with utmost integrity.
October 27, 2021
As indicated by my electronic signature under the "Parent or Guardian's Signature" section at the end for this form, I hereby grant permission for my child, for whom I am parent or guardian, to participate in The Cappies (Critics and Awards Program) for the current school year, as a student critic representing a qualified Cappies membership school in the school year ending in 2020.
I understand that participation in The Cappies is voluntary, that it is not required, and that it exposes my child to risk(s).
I understand that my son or daughter will be expected to provide his/her own transportation to assigned theater performances at schools other than his/her own.
I understand that participation in The Cappies involves activities off school property. Therefore, I understand that, while my child participates in The Cappies, neither the local school system, nor any individual school, nor the Regional Cappies program, nor The Cappies, nor their employees or volunteers, will have any responsibility for students in route to or from these theater performances, nor for my childs conduct, nor for the conduct of any other child participant, nor for the conduct of any adult at any performance site, nor for any medical needs or emergencies my child may have. And I understand that neither the Regional Cappies, nor The Cappies, nor their employees, nor their volunteers will have any responsibility for my child's safety inside any school or other performance site.
I understand that my son or daughter may write reviews that will be edited by and published in local newspapers, and may be photographed or video recorded while participating in The Cappies, and that any photograph may be published and any video recording may be broadcast.
I understand that telephone and email information about my son or daughter is contained in the Cappies Information Services database, and that my son or daughter will receive emails from The Cappies.
I understand that my child may not participate in The Cappies unless (1) The Cappies program has accepted my child's school as a participating school, or has otherwise accepted my child as a participant in The Cappies, and (2) The Cappies program has received this signed Parental Authorization.
I understand that the Cappies Advisor at my child's school, or The Cappies, may terminate my child's participation in The Cappies at any time.
I hereby grant permission for my child to participate in all aspects of The Cappies program.
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE CAPTURED UNDER "PARENT OR GUARDIAN SIGNATURE" SECTION AT END OF FORM
AGREEMENT 2: CRITIC CODE OF CONDUCT
In consideration of participating in the Greater Cincinnati Chapter of the Cappies, and understanding that the Cappies have rules which must be followed (The Critic Code of Conduct), the undersigned fully understands and agrees to the following statements:
(1) I have submitted a Parental Authorization Form for the current Program Year.
(2) I have submitted a Consent and Release from Liability Certificate for the current Program Year.
(3) I have attended or will attend a mandatory Critics Training for the current Program Year.
(4) I have access to e-mail, and will check on a routine basis for my team updates.
(5) I will abide by all Cappies Rules and C.I.S. Procedures as detailed in the Official Cappies Rules in the Handbook.
(6) As a Cappies Critic, I have read, and agree to abide by all Cappies Decorum Rules, as detailed in the online documents and include, but are not limited to the following:
- I will turn off beepers, cell phones, and other noise-making objects before entering the discussion room and keep it off throughout the performance, the post-show discussion and the critic choice discussion.
- Cell phones, PDAs, and other devices are not to be used or even on during any performance or discussion.
- I understand that Cappies programs (meetings, training, performances, voting, etc.) are substance-free.
- I will dress and use language that is in a manner appropriate to a school setting.
- I will show courtesy to other members of the audience.
- I will make no comment about the Cappies Show outside the Cappies Room or when persons other than Critics or Mentors are present in the Cappies Room.
- I will attend the entire performance, from curtain to final bows.
- I will attend all discussions, including the pre-show discussion as soon as I arrive; the intermission discussion; and the post-show and critics choice discussion.
- I will respect all property at the schools I visit in the course of being involved in the Cappies.
- I will not use any lighting devices, including pen lights for note-taking.
- I will not reveal any opinion about any aspect of the Cappies Show, by remark or gesture, except by laughter, applause, or other appropriate audience reaction which are reasonably consistent with other members of the audience.
- At final bows, I will applaud in a manner similar to others in the audience.
(7) During Discussions, I will:
- Respect the Mentors authority.
- Respect other critics and their opinions.
- Refrain from all side conversations.
- Raise a hand to speak, and speak only when asked by a Mentor.
- Listen courteously and attentively to comments from others.
- Upon request of the Mentor, I will give my name and school name.
(8) During the discussions I am aware that I am:
- Free to disagree with comments made by others, as long as the disagreements are stated respectfully.
- Free to critique any aspect of a Cappies Show, and may mention cast and/or crew by name, as long as the critique is brief, reasonable, constructively stated, and not sarcastic or unduly harsh.
- Assist the Discussion Mentor in maintaining a constructive tone.
(9) I am aware that I am not to leave the Cappies Room until:
- I have submitted the Critics Choices and Post-Show Evaluation Form to the Editor Mentor complete with my name and the name of my school.
- I have discarded any personal trash.
- I have helped to clean up the Cappies Room, as requested by the Mentors.
- I have expressed my gratitude to the Parent Boosters who provide refreshments and decorations, if possible.
(10) I will follow through with writing my review, abiding by the announced deadline and following the Official Cappies Rules.
(11) I understand that if a Programs Board of Directors has determined that I or any Critic has violated any of these rules, the Board of Directors has the right to, and may, do any or all of the following:
- Suspend or dismiss that Critic from his/her Critic Team.
- Disqualify all of that Critics reviews from the Critic Team totals.
- Disqualify that critic from awards voting.
- Disqualify that critic for eligibility in any individual award category, performing or technical.
- Disqualify the Critic team.
- Disqualify the Critics schools show.
- Administer other consequences as a condition of remaining as a Cappies Critic, such as, but not limited to, writing an apology, etc.
(12) I understand that I, or any Critic, may be removed from a Critic Team:
- At any time, for any reason, by his/her schools Advisor.
- At any time, for any reason, by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors.
(13) I understand that if any Mentor observes serious Critic misbehavior, Mentors are authorized to:
- Reprimand the Critic.
- Make a report to the Program Director.
- Order a Critic to leave the Cappies Room, and/or Performing School, in the case of excessive disruptive misbehavior.
(14) I understand that upon receiving a report of serious Critic misbehavior, the Program Director will notify the Mentor and/or Advisor at the Critics school.
(15) I understand that if I need to decline any show I have committed to attend, I must do so at least 3 days prior to the show. Failure to decline the show and not attend may result in, but are not limited to, the following:
- 1st offense a verbal warning, make financial restitution to the school for the unused ticket, and no special consideration should the critic be unable to see the required 5 shows.
- 2nd offense a written reprimand and disqualification from receiving any Critic awards.
- 3rd offense disqualification from voting for awards.
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand all of the above
October 27, 2021
AGREEMENT 3: Consent and Release from Liability Certificate
This form is valid for 365 calendar days from the date of the most recent electronic signature. Students or parents must complete this form with their electronic signatures via www.smartwaiver.com by the Wednesday preceding Critic Training (i.e.,Sep 25, 2019).
Part 1. Student Acknowledgement and Release (to be signed by student at the bottom)
I have read the Cappies Critic Code of Conduct attached to this Consent and Release Certificate and know of no reason why I am not eligible to represent my school in Cappies program participation. If accepted as a representative, I agree to follow the rules of my school and Cappies and to abide by their decisions. I know that Cappies program participation is a privilege. I know of the risks involved in Cappies program participation, understand that standard injury risk associated with short-distance travel and on-campus extracurricular participation is possible in such participation, and choose to accept such risks. I voluntarily accept any and all responsibility for my own safety and welfare while participating in this Cappies program, with full understanding of the risks involved. Should I be 18 years of age or older, or should I be emancipated from my parent(s)/guardian(s), I hereby release and hold harmless my school, the schools I visit in conjunction with the Cappies program, all school districts involved, Cappies adult organizers and Cappies of Greater Cincinnati any and all responsibility and liability for any injury or claim resulting from such Cappies program participation and agree to take no legal action against Cappies of Greater Cincinnati because of any accident or mishap involving my Cappies program participation. I hereby grant the released parties the right to photograph and/or videotape me and further to use my name, face, likeness, voice and appearance in connection with exhibitions, publicity, advertising, promotional and commercial materials without reservation or limitation. The released parties, however, are under no obligation to exercise said rights herein. I understand that the authorizations and rights granted herein are voluntary and that I may revoke any or all of them at any time by submitting said revocation in writing to my school and AdminCIN@cappies.org. By doing so, however, I understand that I will no longer be eligible for participation in the Cappies program
I, as a Cappies Critic participant and a high school student who is either actively enrolled or explicitly approved by the respective Critic Team school Advisor to serve on my Critic Team school, understand that my parent must read the Parental/Guardian Consent, Acknowledgement and Release (text listed immediately below in blue italics) and agree to its terms via electronic signature under the "Parent or Guardian's Signature" section at the end for this form before I can participate in the Cappies Program.
October 27, 2021
Part 2. Parental/Guardian Consent, Acknowledgement and Release (to be completed and signed by a parent(s)/guardian(s) at the bottom; where divorced or separated, parent/guardian with legal custody must sign)
A. I hereby give consent for my child/ward to participate in the Cappies program.
B. I know of, and acknowledge that my child/ward knows of, the standard injury risk associated with short-distance travel and on-campus extracurricular participation, understand that serious injury, and even death, is possible in such participation and choose to accept any and all responsibility for his/her safety and welfare while participating in the Cappies program. With full understanding of the risks involved, I release and hold harmless my childs/wards school, the schools my child visits in conjunction with Cappies, all school districts involved, Cappies adult organizers and Cappies of Greater Cincinnati any and all responsibility and liability for any injury or claim resulting from such Cappies program participation and agree to take no legal action against Cappies of Greater Cincinnati because of any accident or mishap involving the Cappies program participation of my child/ward. I grant the released parties the right to photograph and/or videotape my child/ward and further to use said childs/wards name, face, likeness, voice and appearance in connection with exhibitions, publicity, advertising, promotional and commercial materials without reservation or limitation. The released parties, however, are under no obligation to exercise said rights herein.
C. I agree jurisdiction for any dispute or action shall be Hamilton County, Ohio.
D. I understand that the authorizations and rights granted herein are voluntary and that I may revoke any or all of them at any time by submitting said revocation in writing to my childs school and AdminCIN@cappies.org. By doing so, however, I understand that my child/ward will no longer be eligible for participation in Cappies program participation.
I HAVE READ THIS CAREFULLY AND KNOW IT CONTAINS A RELEASE
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE CAPTURED UNDER "PARENT OR GUARDIAN SIGNATURE" SECTION AT END OF FORM
AGREEMENT 4: Critic Review Requirements
I understand and agree that any Critic Review that I submit for Program assessment in CIS must be no less than 200 and no more than 600 qualified words, with consideration that a qualified adult moderator will remove from my qualified word count any content deemed in violation of rules outlined in my Critic Manual or conditions contained within this 2019-2020 Student and Parental Agreements. I acknowledge that any <CQ> notations I insert into my review do not count toward this word requirement and agree I will perform a word count to verify compliance with this requirement prior to final submission on CIS.
I agree to submit my review by the deadline specified below, which I understand can vary based on the underlying performance show time. For performances NOT held on Sunday, I understand that my review will be due on the same performance weekend's Sunday by 4 p.m. For performances held on Sunday, I understand my review will be due that Monday (i.e., the next day) at 9 p.m.
October 27, 2021