There are significant elements of risk in any sport or activity associated with a “rock gym” climbing wall, bouldering area and incidental fitness training regimens and equipment (referred to herein as ‘Activity’). Although we have taken responsible steps to provide you with appropriate instructions and/ or skilled instructors so you can enjoy an activity for which you may not be skilled, we wish to remind you this activity is not without risk. Certain risks cannot be eliminated without destroying the unique character of the activity. The same elements that contribute to the unique character of the activity can be causes of loss or damage to your equipment, or accidental injury, illness, or in extreme cases, permanent trauma or death. We do not want to frighten you or reduce your enthusiasm for the activity, but we do think it is important for you to know in advance what to expect and be informed of the inherent risks.
ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RISKS
I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE FOLLOWING DESCRIBES SOME, BUT NOT ALL THE RISKS OF INDOOR ROCK CLIMBING:
- Slips, trips, falls or painful crashes while using the facilities or equipment, climbing walls, bouldering areas, landing pits, floors below climbing areas, work-out areas, bathroom facilities, or stairs.
- Risk associated with crossing, climbing, or down-climbing.
- Misuse of equipment or facilities, or failure of equipment.
- The risk that my health and physical strength, coordination, sense of balance, and ability to follow or give directions while climbing,belaying, or working out may not be sufficient to practice safely the sport of indoor rock climbing.
- Fatigue, chill and/or dizziness, which may diminish my/our reaction time and increase the risk of accident.
- Abrasion from or entanglement with ropes and equipment.
- I understand that the practice of climbing, due to the nature of the walls, holds and bindings present, may cause premature wear and/or tear to my clothing, footwear or other equipment.
- The presence, actions or falls of other participants whether they are accredited climbers or not.
- I understand the description of these risks is not complete and that other unknown or unanticipated risks may result in injury, illness,or death.
HEALTH AND PHYSICAL CONDITION
I confirm that I am in proper physical condition and I suffer from no personal health issues that prevent me from participating in the activities of ALLEZ UP.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK
I assume the risk(s) of personal injury, accidents and/or illness, including but not limited to: sprains, torn muscles and/or ligaments; fractured or broken bones; eye damage; cuts, wounds, scrapes, abrasions, and/or contusions; dehydration, oxygen shortage (anoxia), exposure and/or altitude sickness; head, neck, and/or spinal injuries; shock, paralysis, and/or death.
I ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHOOSING A RESPONSIBLE PERSON TO BELAY ME.
I understand that through inattention, negligence or for other reasons, my belayer may drop the rope, fail to verify my harness and my knot, or take other actions that could result in my injury or death. I acknowledge the fact that an accreditation at Allez Up or by any other authority does not mean that the person holding the accreditation is an expert or that they are a responsible person.
I ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF MY ACTS WHEN USING THE AUTO BELAY DEVICES.
I understand that the auto belay devices are available when I have no one to belay me. I am responsible to follow the instructions to make sure the device is working properly and that my harness is properly secured on the auto belay carabiner.
AGREEMENT TO ABIDE BY THE RULES AND REGULATIONS
I agree to abide by the rules and regulations of ALLEZ UP, which are posted on the bulletin board on the floor of the gym. A written copy of the rules and regulations will be made available on request. ALLEZ UPreserves the right to refuse to accredit any climber who does not pass the ALLEZ UP accreditation test. ALLEZ UP further reserves the right to suspend or remove accreditation from any climber who demonstrates an unsafe attitude toward safety in indoor rock climbing while at ALLEZ UP, or who does not obey the rules and regulations of ALLEZ UP.
I understand that wearing a climbing helmet may reduce the risk of head injury and that is my personal responsibility to decide whether I will use, or not use a helmet. It is my personal responsibility to provide my own helmet.
I acknowledge that I requested that this acknowledgement be provided to me in English.
Please read the citation below and sign your initials in the space provided to indicate that you have read and accepted the statement.
* “I have read and understood the foregoing acknowledgment of risks and assumption of risk and responsibility and that I will abide by the rules and regulations of Allez Up.”
********** UNACCREDITED GUEST CLIMBERS **********
As a host for a guest member, I acknowledge that I am responsible for putting on my guest(s)’s harness and for tying them in using a figure-eight knot. I am also responsible for my guest if he wants to use an auto belay device. I further understand that any breach of this rule may result in my being asked to leave the premises, without refund. I understand that I must be 18 years of age or older in order to be responsible for a guest.
As an unaccredited guest of an accredited climber at Allez Up, I acknowledge that I am not permitted to put on my own harness or tie my own figure-eight knot. I agree that I will not belay any climber while I am at Allez Up. Furthermore, I agree that I will not take instruction on any aspect of climbing safety while I am at the gym, except from an Allez Up instructor in the context of an Allez Up course. Climbing safety includes putting on my harness, tying the eight-knot or belaying. I further agree that any breach of this rule may result in my being asked to leave the premises, without refund.
I acknowledge that I have read and understood the rules concerning guest climbers.
Date: February 26, 2021