TO: Summit Mountain Guides inc.
TO: WHITEWATER SKI RESORT LTD., KNEE DEEP DEVELOPMENTS CORPORATION &1054686 ALBERTA LTD.
ASSOCIATION OF CANADIAN MOUNTAIN GUIDES; HIS MAJESTY THE KING IN RIGHT OF CANADA; and their directors, officers, employees, guides, agents, independent contractors, subcontractors, representatives, successors and assigns (all of whom are hereinafter collectively referred to as "the Releasees")
In this Release Agreement, the term "wilderness activities" shall include but is not limited to: alpine skiing, nordic skiing, telemark skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, hiking, touring, mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, expeditions, trekking, glacier travel, and all activities, services and use of facilities either provided, arranged or organized by the Releasees including orientation and instructional sessions or classes, transportation, accommodation, food and beverage, and water supply, and all travel by or movement around helicopters, other aircraft, snowcats, snowmobiles or other vehicles and camping or overnight stays in the outdoors.
In this Release Agreement, the term “Negligence” includes the failure by the Releasees to use such care as a reasonably prudent and careful mountain guide/instructor would use under similar circumstances, or breach of any other duty of care imposed by law.
I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES AND I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM.
NOTICE TO SNOWBOARDERS AND TELEMARK SKIERS - INCREASED RISK
Unlike alpine ski boot/binding systems, snowboard, and some telemark boot/binding systems are not designed or intended to release and will not release under normal circumstances, thus increasing the risk of not surviving an avalanche.
NON-SCHEDULED OR EMERGENCY EVACUATION, RESCUE OR FIRST AID
I acknowledge and agree that all expenses associated with non-scheduled or emergency evacuation, rescue or first aid will be my responsibility and will not be covered by the Releasees.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS – AVALANCHES, ALPINE TERRAIN, WILDERNESS TRAVEL, WEATHER
I am aware that participation in wilderness activities involves many risks, dangers and hazards. Avalanches occur frequently in the terrain used for wilderness activities and may be caused by natural forces or by persons travelling through the terrain. I am aware that the Releasees may fail to predict whether the terrain is safe or whether an avalanche may occur. The terrain used for wilderness activities is uncontrolled, unmarked, not inspected, and involves many risks, dangers and hazards in addition to that of avalanche. These may include, but are not limited to: cornices; crevasses; cliffs; trees, tree wells; tree stumps; forest dead fall; creeks; rocks; rockfall; boulders; holes and depressions on or below the snow surface; variable and difficult snow conditions; lightning; effects of high altitude including pulmonary edema and cerebral edema; snow immersion; equipment failure; encounters with dangerous or poisonous flora and fauna; impact or collision with other persons; becoming lost or separated from one’s party or guide; slips, trips and falls; infectious disease contracted through viruses, bacteria, parasites, and fungi which may be transmitted through direct or indirect contact; negligence of other persons; and NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM OR WARN ME OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES. Communication in the alpine terrain may be difficult, and in the event of an accident or illness, rescue, medical treatment and evacuation may not be available or may be delayed. Alpine weather conditions may be extreme and can change rapidly and without warning. Disease may arise from the increased difficulty in maintaining personal hygiene.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
In consideration of the Releasees allowing me to participate in wilderness activities as defined in this Release Agreement, I hereby agree as follows:
1. TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against the Releasees and TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury including death that I may suffer, or that my next of kin may suffer as a result of my participation in wilderness activities, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER ANY APPLICABLE OCCUPIER’S LIABILITY LEGISLATION ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM OR WARN ME OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES REFERRED TO ABOVE;
2. TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in wilderness activities;
3. This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
4. This Release Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of the province where the wilderness activities take place and no other jurisdiction; and
5. Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within the province where the wilderness activities take place and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of that province.
In entering into this Release Agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of wilderness activities, other than what is set forth in this Release Agreement.
I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT PRIOR TO SIGNING IT, AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES.
Today's Date: October 4, 2023