TO: Whitecap Alpine Adventures Inc., carrying on business as Whitecap Alpine , His Majesty the King in the Right of the Province of British Columbia , McGillivray Pass Lodge, Whitecap Resorts Ltd , Backcountry Lodges of BC Association (BLBCA), Blackcomb Helicopters Ltd., Blackcomb Helicopters Limited Partnership, Blackcomb Aviation Leasing Limited Partnership, Blackcomb Aviation Leasing Ltd., (each of the Blackcomb entities carrying on business as Blackcomb Helicopters), AlpX Expeditions Ltd., AlpX Expeditions Limited Partnership, (each of the AlpX entities carrying on business as AlpX Expeditions), Approach Angle 4x4 Shuttle, Morris Thevarge & Family, The Red Barn Campsite, and their directors, officers, employees, guides, agents, independent contractors, subcontractors, volunteers, representatives, successors, assigns and other guests or participants (all of whom are hereinafter collectively referred to as "the Releasees").
In this Release Agreement, the term "wilderness activities" shall include but is not limited to: alpine skiing, nordic skiing, telemark skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, hiking, touring, ski and snowboard touring, mountaineering, ski and snowboard mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, expeditions, trekking, glacier travel, and all activities, services and use of facilities (including the lodge and all other buildings), either provided by or arranged by the Releasees including orientation and instructional sessions or classes, transportation, accommodation, food and beverage, water supply, renting or loaning of equipment and all travel by or movement around helicopters, other aircraft, snowcats, snowmobiles or other vehicles, and all other activities and services in any way connected with or related to wilderness activities.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS – AVALANCHES, ALPINE TERRAIN, WILDERNESS TRAVEL WEATHER
I am aware that participation in wilderness activities involves many risks, dangers and hazards. Avalanches occur frequently in the terrain used for wilderness activities and may be caused by natural forces or by persons travelling through the terrain. I am aware that the Releasees may fail to predict whether the terrain is safe or whether an avalanche may occur. The terrain used for wilderness activities is uncontrolled, unmarked, not inspected, and involves many risks, dangers and hazards in addition to that of avalanche. These may include, but are not limited to: cornices; crevasses; cliffs; trees, tree wells; tree stumps; forest dead fall; creeks; rocks; rockfall; boulders; holes and depressions on or below the snow surface; variable and difficult snow conditions; hypothermia, snow immersion; slips trips and falls; effects of high altitude including pulmonary edema and cerebral edema; infectious disease contracted through viruses, bacteria, parasites, and fungi which may be transmitted through direct or indirect contact; equipment failure; encounters with domestic and wild animals; impact or collision with other persons including other guests; becoming lost or separated from one’s party or guide; negligence of other persons; and NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM OR WARN ME OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF PARTICIPATING IN WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES. Communication in the alpine terrain may be difficult, and in the event of an accident or illness, rescue, medical treatment and evacuation may not be available or may be delayed. Alpine weather conditions may be extreme and can change rapidly and without warning.
I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES AND I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM.
NOTICE TO SNOWBOARDERS, SNOWSHOERS AND TELEMARK SKIERS - INCREASED RISK
Unlike alpine ski boot/binding systems, snowboard, snowshoe and some telemark boot/binding systems are not designed or intended to release and will not release under normal circumstances, thus increasing the risk of not surviving an avalanche.
NON-SCHEDULED OR EMERGENCY EVACUATION, RESCUE OR FIRST AID
I acknowledge and agree that all expenses associated with non-scheduled or emergency evacuation, rescue or first aid will be my responsibility and will not be covered by the Releasees.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
In consideration of the Releasees allowing me to participate in wilderness activities as defined in this Release Agreement, and for other good and valuable consideration, I hereby agree as follows:
1. TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against the Releasees and TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury including death that I may suffer, or that my next of kin may suffer as a result of my participation in wilderness activities, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER THE OCCUPIERS LIABILITY ACT , R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 337, ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM OR WARN ME OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF PARTICIPATING IN WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES;
2. TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in wilderness activities;
3. This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
4. This Release Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of British Columbia and no other jurisdiction; and
5. Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within British Columbia and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of British Columbia.
In entering into this Release Agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of participating in wilderness activities, other than what is set forth in this Release Agreement.
I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES. I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT SHALL APPLY TO ALL FUTURE PARTICIPATION IN WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES AND USE OF THE LODGE.
Today's date: December 6, 2023