OCEAN FIRST | COURSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Deposits & Payments: Every Ocean First, LLC (OF) course requires full payment for enrollment. Reservations are not guaranteed until payment is received.
Changes to Reservations: A $100 rescheduling fee for multiday courses, and $50 for single day courses, will be charged for any scheduling change made fewer than 14 days prior to the first day of class.
Cancellation & Refunds: Digital course materials are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Cancellations made 14 days or more, prior to the start of class, qualify for a full refund minus the cost of the digital materials.
Cancellations made 13-3 days prior to the start of class, will incur a $100 cancellation fee per student for multiday courses, and $50 for single day courses.
Cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to the start of class do not qualify for a refund.
All participants must complete and submit the Diver Medical Participant Questionnaire in order to participate in in-water activities and subsequent Diver Medical Physician's Evaluation Form (if necessary). No refunds will be issued to participants that fail to submit these forms to Ocean First at least 48 hours before the start of class.
If you have questions or you would like a copy of the Joint Controller Agreement which describes the arrangement above and the safeguards of protecting your personal data, go to the following link: https://my.divessi.com/ssi_dc_joint_controller_agreement, or contact SSI at privacy@diveSSI.com.
1. SSI Authorized Training Center “Data Controller” SSI Training Center Name: Ocean First, LLC, 3015 Bluff Street, Boulder, Co 80301
2. Personal Data “Personal data” is any information relating to an individual person (“data subject”). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to information such as a name, identification number, location data, or online identification. Name(s), address(es), telephone number(s), e-mail address(es), user ID(s), credit card number(s), social media account ID(s), login username(s), IP address(es) and GPS data are considered personal data.
3. Processing Your Personal Data SSI International GmbH, SSI Training Centers, your SSI Instructor and other SSI Professionals may all be involved in your training, processing, and delivery of your certification, therefore we need to collect and process the following personal data:
4. Special rules for youth under the age of 16 Youth under the age of 16 cannot participate in any SSI training without the explicit consent of their parent or legally appointed guardian. Personal data for youth under the age of 16 is only used for conducting training and issuing certifications as described above. Youth under the age of 16 who visit www.diveSSI.com cannot register or use the MySSI system without consent from their parent or legal guardian. SSI strongly recommends that the parent or legal guardian closely monitor their youth’s internet activities until they are of legal age.
7. Data Security SSI takes an appreciable amount of technical and organizational security to protect your personal data from unintentional or unauthorized modification, deletion, loss, theft, viewing, forwarding, reproduction, use, alteration or access. SSI and our staff comply with confidentiality and data privacy regulations. Likewise, all authorized agents who have access to your personal data to fulfill their professional duties are also subject to the same obligations of confidentiality and data privacy.
I hereby give Ocean First, LLC, a Colorado limited liability company(“OF”), the unrestricted right and permission to use any and all media, including photographs, videos, words, audio, or other recordings, in any manner, including but not limited to, as part of the content for any Ocean First publications, courses, social media, or website content, without payment or any other consideration. I waive and release any and all rights to royalties or other compensation arising out of or related to the use of the media. Thereof, (collectively, the "Images"), that may be related to my and/or my child(ren)'s activities. I hereby acknowledge and agree that the Images are proprietary works of OF, and that OF exclusively owns all copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual property rights associated with the Images. Accordingly, I hereby: (a) irrevocably assign and transfer, to OF all of my right, title and interest in and to all copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual property rights associated with the Images, whether now existing or hereafter acquired.
SSI Recreational Scuba Training Assumption of Risk, Liability Release & Hold Harmless Agreement
This is a legal contract terminating your rights to file a lawsuit. Read carefully before signing. Warning – Scuba diving uses life-support equipment and techniques that have inherent risks which may cause serious injury, illness or death.
In consideration of being allowed to participate in scuba training, I, the undersigned participant, expressly agree to be bound by this Agreement and comply with the SSI Responsible Scuba Diver Code. I understand this Agreement is between me, my family, estate, heirs and or anyone who may have a claim on my behalf; and OCEAN FIRST, LLC , including all instructors, facilities, boats, and training sites I receive training with or at; Scuba Schools International (“SSI”); and each of their respective owners, officers, employees, representatives, volunteers, agents, contractors and any others on their behalves, whether specifically named or not (herein referred to as “Released Parties”). I voluntarily assume all risks of injury, illness and death, caused by scuba diving and all related activities, whether foreseeable or not, including but not limited to risks associated with: swimming, entering and exiting the water, falling on, struck by or abandoned by a boat, separation or lost underwater, holding my breath, pre-existing health conditions, heart failure, over-exertion, panic, drowning, pressure related injuries, decompression illness, environmental and marine life injuries, unknown causes, equipment malfunctions, improper dive planning, or improper action of other divers or support personnel (including failure to rescue, recover, resuscitate, or provide emergency assistance). I agree to waive, release, not sue, discharge, save, indemnify, and hold harmless the Released Parties of all claims, demands, causes of action, lawsuits and damages by me, my estate, family (including minor children), heirs, or others who may have a claim for my injury, illness or death as a result of any act or failure to act, including negligence by the Released Parties, associated with my scuba training and all related activities. I agree that it is my responsibility to inform my family and all those who may have legal rights on my behalf that I have entered into this Agreement and it is my intent that they be bound by this Agreement. I agree that me or my estate shall be fully liable (pay for) for the cost to the Released Parties for any claim brought on my behalf as a consequence of my participation in scuba diving and all related activities. I have carefully read, understand and agree to comply with the SSI Responsible Scuba Diver Code during all diving activities. I understand and agree that I am responsible for my own safety and well-being during all dive training and related activities. I am responsible for being physically, medically and mentally fit to participate in scuba diving. I affirm that all personal information I have provided on medical questionnaires is truthful and accurate to the best of my knowledge, and I will not hold others responsible or liable for any injury, illness or death caused by my failure to disclose a known medical condition. I am responsible for my own equipment configuration, assembly, and pre-dive inspection to verify it is appropriate and functioning properly. I am responsible for planning and performing all my dive activities, including anticipating potential emergencies. I will not hold anyone, including the Released Parties, responsible for failure to protect my well-being, ensure my proper use of equipment, or conduct my dive activities competently. I will not dive in conditions or at times that are not within my abilities and comfort level. If conditions become dangerous or I do not feel well or I become injured, I will immediate notify the dive leader and take action to correct the situation. I understand dive activities are conducted at sites that are remote, in time and distance, from medical care or a recompression chamber. I understand dive training does not guarantee my safety and that accidents happen even when proper procedures are followed. I understand the importance of, and my responsibility to have, personal insurance that specifically covers dive-related emergencies, emergency transportation, and medical treatments. I understand and agree that SSI licenses training centers, professionals and their affiliates to use various SSI trademarks and to conduct SSI approved training, but they are not agents, employees or franchisees of SSI, its parent, subsidiary, or affiliated corporations. I further understand that SSI training centers, SSI professionals, and their affiliates’ businesses are independent, and are neither owned, operated, or controlled by SSI, and that while SSI establishes standards and materials for SSI training, it is not responsible for, nor does it have the right to control, the operation of the business activities or the day-to-day training and/or supervision of divers by SSI training centers, SSI professionals, their affiliated businesses, and/or their associated staff. I further understand and agree on behalf of myself, that in the event of injury, illness or death during dive activities, I shall not hold SSI liable for the actions, inactions or negligence of the SSI training center, SSI professionals and other affiliated businesses or personnel associated with my dive activities. I have read this Agreement and the SSI Responsible Scuba Diver Code. I expressly understand my responsibilities and that I am giving up legal rights by signing this Agreement. I understand this is a legal contract and I am voluntarily signing it without duress or further inducement. I understand this is an unconditional and complete release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law. If any portion of this Agreement is found to be legally unenforceable or invalid, that portion shall be severed, and the remainder shall have full force and effect. I agree to be bound by this Agreement without modification of the preprinted text. The terms of this Agreement shall continue in effect for all scuba diving training (including entry-level training and continuing education training) and related activities for a period of one year from the date I signed this agreement. I am over 18 years of age and legally competent to engage in this Agreement, or I have acquired the written consent of my parent or guardian by completing a Youth Addendum form.
September 18, 2021
SSI Responsible Diver Code
Scuba diving is an adventure activity that requires the use of specialized life support equipment in an underwater environment where humans could not otherwise exist. As with other adventure activities, scuba diving has elements of risk that cannot be totally eliminated regardless of the amount of training, care, caution or expertise. SSI believes these risks may be reduced through the SSI Diver Diamond - development of proper Knowledge, Skills, Equipment and Experience. Ultimately it is up to each individual diver to assume the inherent risk associated with scuba diving and each diver’s responsibility to minimize the risk through exercising good judgment, common sense, respect and personal awareness during all diving activities. SSI has developed a Responsible Diver Code to remind divers of your responsibilities for each dive.
As a Responsible Diver - I pledge to:
1. DIVE COMPETENTLY - Always dive within my training, certification, experience, comfort and ability.
2. MAINTAIN APPROPRIATE DIVER HEALTH - Including appropriate fitness, physical health and mental awareness to dive.
3. UTILIZE A DIVE PLAN - Plan my dive and dive my plan. Listen to and follow dive briefings.
4. BE A RESPONSIBLE DIVE PARTNER - Remain with my dive partner from start to finish of my dive. Know our plan to
reunite if separated underwater.
5. INSPECT MY DIVE EQUIPMENT - Before each dive, I will inspect my equipment and make sure everything is working
properly. I will confirm my cylinder valve is completely open. When using blended gas (i.e., Enriched Air Nitrox) – I shall
analyze my gas and know its limitations. I will establish proper weighting, know how to release my weights, and verify
my buoyancy compensator (BC) and inflator are connected and functioning properly. I will secure my submersible
pressure/depth gauge and/or dive computer where it is easily accessible, and know how to use each.
6. DIVER AWARENESS - Monitor my cylinder pressure; making sure to surface with reserve gas and never run out of gas.
Monitor my depth and time, respect no decompression limits, perform controlled ascents, safety stops, and monitor my
7. MAINTAIN PROFICIENT SCUBA SKILLS - I understand scuba skills and knowledge are perishable. If it has been more
than six months since my last dive, I understand the importance of taking a Scuba Skills Update course. I will maintain
proper buoyancy throughout my dive, ascend slowly, and breathe properly to avoid overexpansion injuries.
8. RESPECT THE ENVIRONMENT - Be aware of currents, waves, visibility, temperature, weather, boat traffic, slippery,
uneven and unstable surfaces, overhead environments, entanglements, and hazardous marine life. I understand boats
are unsteady surfaces and will always use one hand to stabilize myself. I understand the importance of taking an
orientation dive with a local professional when diving in unfamiliar environments. I will obey all diving and applicable
regulations, statutes and codes.
9. PLAN FOR EMERGENCIES - In addition to inspecting all of my dive equipment, I will verify my dive partner’s equipment
is functioning properly, configured appropriately and that I know how to remove our weights in case of an emergency.
I will make sure our alternate air sources are properly secured and easily accessible in case of a low air or out of air
emergency. I will know scuba hand signals and how to alert others in case of an emergency. I will have an emergency
action plan in case my dive partner or I have an emergency.
10. ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY - I am ultimately responsible for my safety during all diving activities. Failure to comply
with these responsibilities will increase my risk of serious injury or death. Accidents can happen even when all safety
guidelines are followed, therefore I should obtain personal dive accident insurance.
I understand the importance of being a responsible diver and I pledge to abide by the SSI Responsible Diver Code. I understand failure to
abide by the SSI Responsible Diver Code will jeopardize my safety and well-being
September 18, 2021