Participation Statement: Climbing and bouldering are activities with a danger of personal injury. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement. Although The Wall Climbing Gym (the Wall) is an artificial environment, many of the risks involved are no less serious than when climbing outside on a crag or boulder. Climbing beyond your capabilities on any indoor wall is likely to result in a fall. Any fall may result in an injury despite the safety systems in place to avoid it. You must make your own assessment of the risks whenever you climb.
Legal Jibber Jabber: The Legal Jibber Jabber is important, is intended to be legally binding and sets out the terms and conditions that govern our agreement with you.
Conditions of use
The conditions of use set out below are not intended to limit your enjoyment of the facilities. They are provided to help ensure that everyone who uses the Wall can do so as safely as possible. They are part of the duty of care that we owe to you. By using the Wall you confirm that you agree to the Wall’s conditions of use and will abide by them.
Holds and volumes: Holds and volumes can spin or break at any time resulting in you falling off a wall in an uncontrolled manner. Loose or damaged holds must be reported to reception straight away.
Matting: The soft flooring under the bouldering walls is designed to provide a more comfortable landing for climbers falling or jumping from the bouldering wall. The matting does not guarantee your safety and you should always down climb where possible and avoid uncontrolled falls. Injuries can still occur even after a controlled fall but are more likely after an uncontrolled fall. You must pay attention to how you land and always assess the risk of each climb that you undertake. Broken and sprained limbs are common on this type of climbing wall despite the soft landing. Uncontrolled falls are likely to result in injuries to you or others.
Your conduct: You have a duty of care to act responsibly towards the other users of the Wall. Statements of ‘Good Practice’ are posted around the Wall adjacent to the relevant facilities. These describe the accepted methods of use and how customers would normally be expected to behave towards each other.
Personal property: We take no responsibility for your personal property. Keep valuables with you or give them to a friend or family who is not climbing.
Your Climbing: Before you climb you must watch the Wall’s safety video which informs you of the dangers inherent in bouldering and the risks involved. Before you climb you are required to register to say that you are prepared to abide by these rules and that you understand the risks involved in your participation. If you are not confident using any part of the Wall, facility or equipment in the gym then do not attempt to use it without being supervised by a competent person.
Minors: Minors are any persons under the age of 18. All minors in the Wall must be supervised by a member of the Wall’s staff when climbing unless they have been assessed by a member of the Wall’s staff as capable of climbing unsupervised. Minors must abide by the Wall’s conditions of use.
Every person climbing at the Wall agrees, acknowledges and confirms that each time they use the Wall, that they will:
- report to reception on each visit before climbing
- exercise care, common sense and self-preservation at all times
- report any problems with the climbing walls, holds or equipment or other climbers’ behaviour to a member of staff immediately
- be aware of the other climbers around them and how their actions will affect others
- not distract people while they are climbing
- always climb within their capabilities and descend by down climbing whenever possible
- never climb directly above or below another climber
- not sit, stand or walk under climbing surfaces when people are bouldering above them
- finish climbing on the last, highest hold. Climbers must not grab or touch the top of the walls, or any girders, structures, metalwork or lights
- remove anything from your clothing and body that could cause an injury when climbing or falling, for example, anything in your pockets, rings or piercings
- keep the matting free of any objects and obstructions including but not limited to water bottles, bags, clothing, chalk bags, mobile phones, cameras, brushes, shoes etc.
- not bring or consume any food or drink on the matting
- ensure that they treat other users with dignity and respect
- never climb on to the top of any walls
I confirm and warrant to the best of my knowledge and belief that I do not suffer from a medical condition or injury, which might have the effect of making it more likely that I will be involved in an accident which could result in injury to me or others; and the above information is correct and if any information changes, I will notify the Wall.
It is important that you understand this document. There is an inherent risk involved when climbing at the Wall. By signing this form, you are stating you understand that these risks cannot be completely removed. If you do not understand any of the terminology or content of this form, the contents of the Wall’s safety video and the Legal Jibber Jabber then you should ask a member of staff to clarify any queries you may before signing below.
Today's Date: December 7, 2023