Swimming, Snorkeling and Boat Passenger
Assumption Of Risk And Complete Release Of Liability
I UNDERSTAND THAT THE PURPOSE OF SIGNING THIS DOCUMENT IS TO EXEMPT AND RELEASE SCUPPER’S WATERSPORTS LLC, THEIR OWNERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND ASSOCIATED PERSONNEL, AND THEIR BOATS (WHETHER OWNED, OPERATED, LEASED OR CHARTERED), HEREINAFTER REFERRED TO AS “RELEASED PARTIES”, AND TO HOLD THESE ENTITIES HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES ARISING AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE FOLLOWING, OR ANY OTHER ACTS OR OMISSIONS ON THEIR PART, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE OF ANY TYPE.
- I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE INHERENT RISKS INVOLVED WITH SWIMMING, SNORKELING AND BOATING, included but not limited to equipment failure, perils of the sea, harm caused by marine creatures (including bites), acts of fellow participants, entering and exiting the water, boarding or disembarking boats, and activities on the docks and I HEREBY ASSUME SUCH RISKS.
- I UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE A DUTY TO EXERCISE REASONABLE CARE FOR MY OWN SAFETY AND I AGREE TO DO SO.
- I assert that I am physically fit to swim, snorkel and ride on a boat and I will not hold the Released Parties responsible if I am injured as a result of ANY problems (medical, accidental, or otherwise) which occur while swimming, snorkeling, riding on the boat, or otherwise participating in the trip.
- If I become distressed while in the water, I will immediately notify the crew and ask for assistance.
- I fully understand that the involved boat has limited medical facilities and that in the event of illness or injury appropriate medical care must be summoned by radio and treatment will be delayed until I can be transported to a proper medical facility. I agree in advance to these conditions.
- The RELEASED PARTIES have made no representation to me implied or otherwise that they or their crew can or will perform safe rescues or render first aid. In the event I show signs of distress or call for aid I would like assistance and will not hold the Released Parties, their crew, boats or passengers responsible for their actions in attempting the performance or rescue or first aid.
- IT IS MY INTENTION BY THIS INSTRUMENT TO GIVE UP MY RIGHT TO SUE ALL PERSONS OR ENTITIES REFERRED TO HEREIN, WHETHER SPECIFICALLY NAMED OR NOT, AND IT IS ALSO MY INTENTION TO EXEMPT AND RELEASE ALL RELEASED PARTIES AND TO HOLD THESE ENTITIES HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR WRONGFUL DEATH CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OR GROSS NEGLIGENCE AND I ASSUME ALL RISK IN CONNECTION WITH SWIMMING, SNORKELING AND BOATING ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE MAINTENANCE OF THE EQUIPMENT OR ORGANIZATION OF THIS ACTIVITY.
- I have carefully read this contract in its entirety, fully understand its contents, and agree to the terms and conditions of this contract on behalf of myself, my heirs, and my personal representatives. This document constitutes the final and entire agreement between Released Parties and the undersigned. There are NO WARRANTIES expressed or implied, which extend beyond the description of the activity listed on this form. THIS IS A COMPLETE RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT.
I have read this agreement, am aware that it is a release of liability and a contract between myself and the Released Parties. I sign it of my own free will and agree to be bound by it, from the date of my signature, forever into the future.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, INDEMNIFICATION
& BINDING ARBITRATION AGREEMENT
Notice -- By signing this document you may be waiving certain legal rights, including the right to sue.
Release and Waiver of Claims; Assumption of the Risk; Indemnification Agreement
In consideration of being allowed to use the facilities, vessels, and participate in parasailing and other activities (collectively the “Activities") provided by Scupper's Watersports LLC (the "Host"), the Participant hereby agrees, to the fullest extent permitted by law, as follows:
1) TO WAIVE ALL CLAIMS that he/she has or may have against the Host arising out of the Participant's participation in the Activities or the use of any equipment provided by the Host (“Equipment”);
2) TO ASSUME ALL RISKS of participating in the Activities and using the Equipment, even those caused by the negligent acts or conduct of the Host, its owners, affiliates, operators, employees, agents, officers, and/or any entity to which the Host owes a contractual indemnification obligation The Participant understands that there are inherent risks of participating in the Activities and using the Equipment, which may be both foreseen and unforeseen and include serious physical injury and death. These inherent risks include, but are not limited to, operator, captain, and/or crew error, changing weather conditions, and equipment failure;
3) TO RELEASE the Host, its owners, affiliates, operators, employees, agents, officers, and/or any entity to which the Host owes a contractual indemnification obligation, from all liability for any loss, damage, injury, death, or expense that the Participant (or his/her next of kin) may suffer, arising out of his/her participation in the Activities and use of the Equipment. The Participant specifically understands that he/she is releasing any and all claims that arise or may arise from any negligent acts or conduct of the Host, its owners, affiliates, operators, employees, agents, officers, and/or any entity to which the Host owes a contractual indemnification obligation, to the fullest extent permitted by law. However, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as a release for conduct that is found to constitute gross negligence or intentional conduct; and
4) TO INDEMNIFY the Host, its owners, affiliates, operators, employees, agents, officers, and/or any entity to which the Host owes a contractual indemnification obligation, from all liability for any loss, damage, injury, death, or expense that the Participant (or his/her next of kin) may suffer, arising out of participation in Activities and/or use of the Equipment.
Photography/Video Release Participant hereby grants to the Host, its representatives, and employees the right to take photographs/videos of Participant in connection with Participant's participation in the Activities. Participant hereby authorizes the Host to copyright, use, and publish the same in print and/or electronically. Participant hereby agrees that the Host may use such photographs of Participant for any lawful purpose, including but not limited to publicity, illustration, advertising, and Web content.
The Participant certifies that he/she has no physical or mental condition that precludes him/her from participating in the Activities and that he/she is not participating against medical advice.
The Participant understands that his/her participation in the Activities is voluntary and further understands that he/she has the opportunity to inspect the Host’s Equipment, facilities, and vessels before any participation.
The Participant understands that he/she is obligated to follow the rules of the Activities and that he/she can minimize his/her risk of injury by doing so and through the exercise of common sense and by being aware of his/her surroundings.
If, while participating in the Activities, the Participant observes any unusual hazard or condition, which he/she believes jeopardizes his/her personal safety or that of others, he/she will remove himself/herself from participation in the Activities and immediately bring said hazard or condition to the attention of the Host.
The Participant, and the Participant's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if the Participant is a minor, hereby agrees to submit any dispute, claim, or controversy, relating to and/or arising from (a) this Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk, Waiver of Claims, Indemnification & Binding Arbitration Agreement, (b) Participant's participation in the Activities, and/or (3) any other interaction between the Participant and the Host, including the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, to binding arbitration. For such disputes, there shall be a three member arbitration panel, consisting of two party-appointed arbitrators (one arbitrator to be appointed by each party) and one neutral arbitrator (collectively, the “Panel"), to be chosen by the party-appointed arbitrators. In the event that the two party-appointed arbitrators are not able to agree on a third, neutral arbitrator, the neutral arbitrator shall be appointed by the United States District Court, for the district in which the Activities occurred. Each party shall pay its own costs, including the costs associated with the party-appointed arbitrators, and the parties shall share equally the costs associated with the neutral arbitrator. The arbitration proceeding shall proceed in the State and County where the Activities occurred, and shall be governed by the Federal Rules of Evidence. The Panel shall establish a reasonable and appropriate discovery schedule to expeditiously resolve this matter. As a threshold matter, the Panel shall confirm whether the Waiver and Release contained in this Agreement are enforceable under applicable law. Judgment on the Award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction over the parties and controversy. Participant and the Host specifically intend this Binding Arbitration provision to survive in the event that any other portion of this Agreement is held invalid.
NOTICE TO PARTICIPANT: By signing this Agreement, you are giving up your right to commence litigation against the Host in a court of law, and you are giving up your right to a trial by jury.
To the extent that any portion of this Agreement is deemed to be invalid under the law of the applicable jurisdiction, the remaining portions of the Agreement shall remain binding and available for use by the Host and its counsel in any proceeding
I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I MAY BE WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE.
Dated: January 20, 2022