ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND PERMISSION FORM
BY SIGNING THIS DOCUMENT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND THOSE OF YOUR CHILD MAY BE AFFECTED. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Please Note: Completion of this form is required for your child’s participation in Flexpeditions’ outdoor education and adventure programs, specifically the Outdoor Play Programs.
Risk Assessment Summary
Participating with Flexpeditions’ outdoor, adventure and nature-based programs, include inherent and foreseeable risks of harm, personal injury or even death, and accident occasionally happen. You are required to accept these and other risks as a condition of your child’s participation. While the variety of risks is more than can be listed here, and keeping in mind that Flexpeditions’ instructors, educators and guides are trained, experienced, hold professional certifications, and make a strong effort in supporting children to stay safe while learning and playing in nature, the following is a list of the more obvious and frequent risks:
- Injuries from executing strenuous and demanding physical activities
- Injuries resulting from matches or fire
- Injuries resulting from traveling to and from a variety of outdoor site
- Contracting poison ivy, oak or other natural ailments from plants
- The presence of wild animals and ticks
- Changing and inclement weather including storms, high winds, lightning
- The possibility that your child may not heed safety instructions or directions given to the group or delivered individually
- Negligence on the part of other participants
- NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF FLEXPEDITIONS AND ITS AGENTS, VOLUNTEERS, SUPERVISORS, INSTRUCTORS, LEADERS, GUIDES AND EDUCATORS, EMPLOYEES AND SUBCONTRACTORS, INCLUDING THE FAILURE ON THE PART OF FLEXPEDITIONS AND ITS AGENTS, VOLUNTEERS, EMPLOYEES AND SUBCONTRACTORS, TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT PARTICIAPNTS FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF PARTICIPATING IN THE ACTIVITIES.
Furthermore, I am aware:
- That injuries sustained in outdoor activity can be severe and even fatal.
- That all explained rules are designed to enhance safety of my/our child and others and are to be followed at all times
- That fire and open fire cooking require special instruction and training from the facilitator
- That my child’s risk of injury increases with fatigue
The Risk Assessment Summary is intended to enable you and your child to better understand and accept the various risks involved at Flexpeditions’ outdoor adventure and education programs, specifically the Outdoor Play Programs. It is your responsibility to weigh and evaluate the risks on behalf of your child. Your child is under no obligation to participate in all activities at Flexpeditions Outdoor Play Programs and may choose not to participate at any time after you sign this form.
I/We have read the Risk Assessment Summary for Flexpeditions Outdoor Play Programs.
I/We have reviewed the Risk Assessment Summary for Flexpeditions Outdoor Play Programs with my/our child and have instructed our child to listen to and follow the instructions provided pertaining to participation at Flexpeditions’ Outdoor Play Programs.
I/We are aware that participation at Flexpeditions Outdoor Play Programs involve many risks, dangers and hazards including but not limited to those referred to in the Risk Assessment Summary and
- freely and voluntarily assume the risks, dangers and hazards inherent in participating at Flexpeditions Outdoor Play Programs, including all those described in the Risk Assessment Summary and the possibility of personal injury or death of my child.
- Being satisfied that Flexpeditions’ Outdoor Play Programs are suitable for my/our child, I/we give my/our permission and consent for him/her to participate.
I will notify Flexpeditions’ owners, director, supervisors, guides or employees if my child suffers from any medical or health condition that may cause injury to themselves or others, or may require special emergency care during their participation.
On occasion, Flexpeditions staff will be in charge of transporting the children to and from remote wilderness sites, forest trailheads, beaches or other outdoor areas where we will be supervising the children and playing outdoors in sites other than where you drop your child off at the start of the program. We use a variety of transportation means like walking on roads, walking on trails, biking, taking a taxi, driving in a commercial passenger van or being transported in a vehicle driven by Flexpeditions’ staff or driven by a professional driver accompanied by a Flexpeditions representative.
We have booster seats to use as needed, but if there is a specific seat for your child you want sent, please inform us ahead of time. No children will sit in the front seat of the car during transportation.
I/We give permission for Flexpeditions staff, subcontractors, agents, employees, guides, and volunteers over 19+ with a valid drivers’ licence to transport my child to or from the program if needed, or to and from remote wilderness program locations.
I/We will not send my child to the program if they show any symptoms of COVID-19, including:
- Fever or chills
- Loss of sense of smell or taste
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
- Extreme fatigue or tiredness
- Body aches
- Nausea or vomiting
I/We will monitor the participant and our family/household’s unit 2 weeks prior to the activity and 2 weeks following and inform Flexpeditions of any abnormal symptoms.
Today's date: March 21, 2023