2021-2022 Mount Pakenham Release of Liability
TO: MOUNT PAKENHAM (1986) LTD and its directors, officers, employees, instructors, agents, representatives, volunteers, independent contractors, subcontractors, successors and assigns (hereinafter collectively referred to as the “Releasees”).
SECTION 1: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISKS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
I am aware that skiing, snowboarding and participating in snow school lessons, clinics and sessions (collectively referred to as the “Activity”) involve many risks, dangers and hazards including, but not limited to: boarding, riding and disembarking ski lifts; changing weather conditions; avalanches; exposed rock, earth, ice, and other natural objects; trees, tree wells, tree stumps and forest deadfall; the condition of snow or ice on or beneath the surface; negligent first aid; failure to act safely or within one’s own ability or to stay within designated areas; negligence of other persons; and RISKS RESULTING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY DUTY OF CARE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM, OR WARN ME OF, THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS. I also understand that other risks include variations in the terrain which may create blind spots or areas of reduced visibility; variations in the surface or sub-surface, including changes due to man-made or artificial snow; variable and difficult conditions; streams, creeks, and exposed holes in the snow pack above streams or creeks; cliffs; crevasses; snowcat roads, road-banks or cut-banks; collision with lift towers, fences, snow making equipment, snow grooming equipment, snowcats, snowmobiles or other vehicles, equipment or structures; encounters with domestic and wild animals including dogs and bears; exposure to INFECTIOUS DISEASE CONTRACTED THROUGH VIRUSES, BACTERIA, PARASITES, AND FUNGI WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH DIRECT OR INDIRECT CONTACT; collision with other persons; loss of balance or control; slips, trips and falls; and accidents during participation in the Activity. I am also aware that the risks, dangers and hazards referred to above exist throughout and beyond the ski area and that many hazards are unmarked.
SECTION 2: ASSUMPTION OF RISKS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL THE RISKS, HAZARDS, AND DANGERS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE (AS SET OUT IN SECTION 1) WHILE ENGAGED IN OR AS A RESULT OF MY VOLUNTARY PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY
SECTION 3: RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT. THESE CONDITIONS WILL AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
IN CONSIDERATION OF the Releasees accepting my application for a Ski/Snowboard/Snowshoe/Snow Tubing Pass and permitting my use of the lifts, ski runs, trails, terrain parks, race courses, restaurants, day lodge, parking, access roads and other ski area facilities (hereinafter “the premises”), I hereby agree as follows:
1. I AM GIVING UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE, that arise or result from in whole or in part, participating in the Activity and, without limitation, claims arising out of or resulting from THE NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED BY THE RELEASEES UNDER THE OCCUPIERS’ LIABILITY ACT;
2. WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS THAT I HAVE OR MAY HAVE IN THE FUTURE against the Releasees;
3. RELEASE THE RELEASEES FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, EXPENSE, AND INJURY AND DEATH, INCLUDING ANY CLAIM FOR CONTRIBUTION AND INDEMNITY, that I may suffer from my participation in the Activity DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT AND ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED TO ME BY THE RELEASEES UNDER THE OCCUPIERS’ LIABILITY ACT. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES THE FAILURE ON PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM OR WARN ME OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS REFERRED TO ABOVE; and
4. INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the Releasees from any and all liability, including claims for contribution and indemnity, for any damage to property of or personal injury to, any third party, resulting from my, or my family member or next of kins, use of the Releasees’ property or participation in the Activity.
1. AGREEMENT BINDING - This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
2. JURISDICTION - This Release Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of Ontario and no other jurisdiction. Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within Ontario, and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Ontario; and
3. SEVERABILITY - If any provision of this Agreement is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any respect, such determination shall not impair or affect the validity, legality or enforceability of the remaining provisions hereof, and each provision is hereby declared to be separate, severable and distinct.
In entering into this Release Agreement, I am not relying upon any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of skiing or snowboarding other than what is set forth in this Agreement.
Photo/Video/DVD Release: I give permission for the free use of my image in any photographs, videos or DVD’s used for marketing or promotional purposes by Mount Pakenham.
CONCUSSION AWARENESS (ROWAN'S LAW)
All skiers and snowboarders who have been diagnosed with a concussion are participating as per their Return-to-School and Sport-Specific Return-to-Sport Strategy under the supervision of a medical doctor or nurse practitioner.
The Season Pass issued to the Passholder or any Day Ticket is the property of Mount Pakenham (1986) Ltd, it is not transferable, not for resale and is revocable for misconduct or breach of the Alpine Responsibility Code.
ALPINE RESPONSIBILITY CODE
Always stay in control. You must be able to stop, or avoid other people or objects.
People ahead of you have the right-of-way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
Do not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.
Before starting downhill or merging onto a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
If you are involved in or witness a collision or accident, you must remain at the scene and identify yourself to the Ski Patrol.
Always use proper devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
Observe and obey posted signs and warnings.
Keep off closed trails and closed areas.
You must not use lifts or terrain if your ability is impaired through use of alcohol or drugs.
You must have sufficient physical dexterity, ability and knowledge to safely get on, load, ride, disembark and unload lifts. If in doubt, ask the lift attendant.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. By visiting our resort, you voluntarily assume all risks related to potential exposure to COVID-19.
I am aware of the Ontario and Public Health guidelines regarding Covid-19 and I agree to use the Ontario Covid self-assessment tool prior to any visit to Mount Pakenham this winter
- We ask that guests not come to MP if they are unwell. Please refer to our local health units COVID screening assessment prior to arriving at our establishment if necessary.
- Please see our policies to postpone or make-up a missed lesson. COVID Screening Assessment may be required prior to lesson.
- Face Coverings must always be worn in the lodge, rental shop, while loading lifts and anywhere physical distancing is not possible .
- With limited seating in the lodge, we ask that our guests boot up in their car.
- If health guidelines become more restrictive, we may not be able to allow indoor seating.
- SnowSchool Participants:
- We ask that lesson participants not come to MP if they are unwell. Please see our policies to postpone or make-up a missed lesson. COVID Screening Assessment may be required prior to lesson.
- No warm up breaks inside. Parents must monitor chairlift loading areas - instructors will ask parents to take their own children in to warm up if necessary.
- Accessibility to the lodge may be limited, please ensure your child is dressed according to the weather to ensure they can last the full hour in the lesson.
- Face coverings must be worn while participating in lessons. If children are unable to manage their own face coverings and respect social distancing in a group setting, they will be asked to move to private lessons (at an additional charge).
- Snow School Instructors will be as “hands off” as possible, but for safety reasons may need to assist students.
I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES.
Today's Date: October 17, 2021