Participant Agreement, Release and Assumption of Risk
In consideration of the services of Alaska Avalanche School, their agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as "AAS"), I hereby agree to release, indemnify, and discharge AAS, on behalf of myself, my spouse, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
1. I acknowledge that my participation in an avalanche training course entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. Participation in all in-person courses hosted by the Alaska Avalanche School also poses similar risks as interacting with society at large, including contracting communicable diseases, such as COVID-19. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the activity. The risks include, among other things: falling, temperature exposure (hypothermia, frostbite, frostnip, sunburn), collision, striking obstructions or other persons, unsafe speed of travel for conditions or experience, equipment failure, failure to wear protective clothing, elevation changes, weather conditions including electrical storms, avalanches and unfavorable snow conditions. Furthermore, AAS employees have difficult jobs to perform. They seek safety, but they are not infallible. They might be unaware of a participant's health status, fitness, or abilities. They might misjudge the weather or other environmental conditions. They may give incomplete warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction.
2. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
3. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless AAS from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity or my use of AAS's equipment or facilities, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of AAS.
4. Should AAS or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
5. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have.
6. In the event that I file a lawsuit against AAS, I agree to do so solely in the state of Alaska, and I further agree that the substantive law of Alaska shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining document shall remain in full force and effect.
By signing this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against AAS on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood it, and I agree to be bound by its terms.
November 30, 2021