- PLEASE NOTE, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE NOTFICATION THAT YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN ACCEPTED. WE WILL ONLY CONTACT YOU IF YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. AFTER SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION YOU WILL BE SENT TO A SEPARATE PAGE TO UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
1) A health certificate showing the dog has been evaluated by a licensed veterinarian at a minimum of once per year
2) Proof of monthly heartworm prevention and an annual heartworm test
3) Proof of vaccination against Rabies, Canine Distemper Virus and Canine Parvovirus
4) One photo to verify your dog's appearance
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THESE DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- ELMWOOD PARK ZOO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISMISS A DOG AND ITS HANDLER AT ANY TIME IN THE EVENT THAT THE HANDLER DOES NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
1) The dog must be on a leash and the handler must be in control of the dog at all times. This includes dogs that arrive in carriers, bags or strollers. Leashes must be shorter than 6'. Retractable leashes are not permitted.
2) Owners/handlers are limited to one (1) dog per person at any time. All dogs must be registered to the owner/handler walking them through the zoo. Handlers must be over the age of 18 and also not responsible for managing children.
3) The dog and/or handler may not cross the boundaries of any exhibit
4) The handler must clean up after the dog and deposit any waste in an appropriate trash receptacle
5) If the dog is out of control and/or disruptive and the handler does not take action to correct the behavior, you will be asked to leave. Harassment will not be tolerated and guests will be asked to leave the zoo immediately
6) If the dog animal is creating undue stress or unhealthy conditions for any of the Zoo’s animals you will be asked to leave the zoo immediately. At no time may your dog be left unattended
7) For the safety of your dog and others, female dogs should not be in heat
8) We DO NOT allow puppies under 4 months or sick dogs and dogs with active injuries (ie. stitches, bandages, etc)
9) Digging is not permitted while on zoo grounds. If your dog digs, please make best efforts to fill any holes and notify zoo staff immediately
10) Balls and other toys that can be thrown are not allowed in the zoo.
11) Dog food is permitted to be brought into the zoo for your dog but it is never permitted to be fed to zoo animals
12) Dog events will not be held when temperatures meet or exceed 85°F. If you purchase tickets to an event and the temperatures are expected to be high, we will contact you to reschedule.
All dogs should arrive at the zoo with a well-fitting harness (preferred) or collar, with one tag that indicates contact information for owners. Proof of rabies vaccination status must be available either via tag or printed record. Collars must be worn at all times. The following collars are NOT permitted:
3) Heavy Chain
- SEVERAL AREAS IN THE ZOO ARE CURRENTLY RESTRICTED TO DOGS DUE TO THE CLOSE PROXIMITY OF OUR ANIMALS:
1) Trail of the Jaguar
2) Wildlife Lodge
3) Discovery Center
4) Other areas may be not be available as programs or animals dictate
- THIS APPLICATION IS FOR DOGS ONLY. NO OTHER PET ANIMALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.