Open Water Scuba Diver
Registration & Agreement
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AS YOU WILL BE BOUND TO THIS AGREEMENT.
1. I will attend the required 2 class sessions and the required 2 pool sessions of the Open Water SCUBA course to begin on June 1, 2023 costing $599, and will complete either the eLearning academics or required paper materials and in-store review with an instructor at least 24 hours prior to any pool session..
2. I can swim 200 meters OR snorkel 300 meters continuously without stopping and tread water/float for 10 minutes continuously without stopping. I understand that this basic watermanship is a pre-requisite for SCUBA certification and will be examined prior to any scuba skills being taught. If I am unable to complete the minimum standards, I will not be able to continue the session and will be billed for an extra class session at $99 before being able to continue.
3. The following equipment is necessary: scuba quality mask, snorkel, fins, booties, and student kit. These items must be purchased or rented. All other major equipment will be provided during the course. Any equipment rented from SCUBA Network must be returned to the same SCUBA Network the day after class is concluded. A gear transport service is available for $20 per session.
4. The e-Learning codes are NON-REFUNDABLE nor EXCHANGEABLE. They expire 6 months from date of purchase if not redeemed on the agency website, in which case a new code will need to be purchased. All phases of the course: Academic, Confined Water and Open Water must be completed within one calendar year from date of signup. Failure to complete the course within a calendar year will result in retaking the final exam and additional pool training prior to advancing to open water dives. I understand this additional training will cost additional money relative to the current price of the course.
5. After successful completion of the confined water course, a series of open water dives are required to become certified at an additional training cost. Rentals of major equipment for open water dives are available. Referrals can also be provided if a pre-registration form is purchased.
6. Important information is included in every class, pool and open water session. Because diving is built from a few basic to more complex concepts, I understand I must attend every session or my training will be incomplete. I understand I will need to successfully complete a final evaluation in order to be certified as a scuba diver. The instructor, at their discretion, must make final judgment as to my competency to be a safe diver and be awarded certification or graduate from the pool to the open water portion of the course. I acknowledge that extra class sessions are available for $99.
7. I understand that if I cancel for any reason, the eLearning code is not refundable. Additionally, if I cancel in less than 7 days before the first session, 50% of the course cost is non-refundable; after the first session begins or 90 days from date of purchase, none of the course is refundable. I understand that SCUBA classes are logistically challenging with limited space, and that if I make any changes to class dates inside of 5 days or miss my class, I will need to pay $75 to alleviate the cost of a missing student.
8. For your safety and ours, Scuba Network reserves the right to inspect all equipment you will be using in the pool or during open water dives PRIOR to starting any classes. At the sole discretion of Scuba Network, any equipment deemed unsatisfactory or unfamiliar will not be allowed to be used. I understand that by not having equipment checked prior to the class sessions I may be turned away and will be required to book an additional session.
I have read this agreement. I understand it. I agree to be bound by it.
GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE AND EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK
Directions: Please read carefully, fill in all blanks and initial each paragraph before signing at bottom.
For (specify Course or Specialty at bottom of waiver) training program under sanction through SDI.
I hereby affirm that I have been advised and thoroughly informed of the inherent hazards of scuba diving activities
Further, I understand that diving with compressed air or oxygen enriched air (nitrox) involves certain inherent risks including decompression sickness, embolism, oxygen toxicity, inert gas narcosis, marine life injuries or other barotrauma/hyperbaric injuries can occur that require treatment in a recompression chamber. I further understand that the open water diving trips, which are necessary for training and certification, may be conducted at a site that is remote, either by time of distance or both, from such a recompression chamber. I still choose to proceed with such instructional dives in spite of the possible absence of a recompression chamber in proximity to the dive site.
I understand and agree that neither my Instructor(s) the facility through which I received my Instruction, Scuba Fifth Avenue, Inc. dba "Scuba Network," International Training and Scuba Diving International, nor the officers, directors, shareholders, affiliated companies, employees, agents, or assigns of the above listed entities and/or individuals, nor the authors of any materials including texts and tables expressly used for training and certification (hereinafter referred to as “Released Parties”) may be held liable or responsible in any way for any injury, death, or other damages to me or my family, heirs, or assigns that may occur as a result of my participation in this diving class or as a result of the negligence of any party, including the Released Parties, whether passive or active.
In consideration of being allowed to enroll in this course, I hereby personally assume all risks in connection with said course, for any harm, injury, or damage that may befall me while I am enrolled as a student of this course, including all risks connected therewith, whether foreseen or unforeseen.
I further agree to save, defend, indemnify, and hold harmless said course and Released Parties from any claim or lawsuit by me, anyone purporting to act on my behalf, my family, estate, heirs or assigns, arising directly or indirectly out of my enrollment and participation in this course including both claims arising during the course or after I receive my certification even if such claims may be groundless, false or fraudulent.
I also understand that diving activities are physically strenuous and that I will be exerting myself during this diving course, and that if I am injured as a result of heart attack, panic, hyperventilation, oxygen toxicity, inert gas narcosis, drowning, etc. that I expressly assume the risk of said injuries and that I will not hold the above listed individuals or companies responsible for the same, and I agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless said course and Released Parties for any such injuries incurred by me.
I understand that these activities may place me deeper than I am able to safely execute a free (without breathing gas) ascent from.
I understand that I may be required to furnish my own equipment and that I am responsible for its operating condition and maintenance.
I further state that I am of lawful age and legally competent to sign this liability release, or that I have acquired the written consent of my parent or guardian.
I understand that the terms herein are contractual and not a mere recital, and that I have signed this document of my own free act. Further that I understand and agree that, in the event that one or more of the provisions of this agreement, for any reason, is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable in any respect, such invalidity, illegality or unenforceability shall not affect any other provision hereof, and this agreement shall be construed as if such invalid, illegal or unenforceable provision or provisions had never been contained herein.
IT IS THE INTENTION OF BY THIS INSTRUMENT TO EXEMPT AND RELEASE MY INSTRUCTORS FALLON BURKLEW, MARK CUNNINGHAM, RYAN HOFFMAN, LUCIA MARKOE, STEPHEN MARRINER, RICHARD MAXWELL (AND OTHERS, DANA TRICARICO, JOSEPH SCARAMUZZINO, HAILEY THOMAS), THE FACILITY THROUGH WHICH I RECEIVED MY INSTRUCTION SCUBA FIFTH AVENUE, INC DBA "SCUBA NETWORK NYC", THE TRAINING AGENCY SCUBA DIVING INTERNATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND SCUBA DIVING INTERNATIONAL, AND ALL OTHER RELATED ENTITIES AND RELEASED PARTIES AS DEFINED ABOVE, FROM ALL LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR WRONGFUL DEATH HOWEVER CAUSED, OR ARISING OUT OF, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, WHETHER PASSIVE OR ACTIVE. I HAVE FULLY INFORMED MYSELF OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS LIABILITY RELEASE AND EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK BY READING IT BEFORE SIGNING IT ON BEHALF OF MYSELF AND MY HEIRS.
This document is required for all courses and Specialties taught under sanction by Scuba Diving International. No alterations, changes, omissions or revisions may be made.
June 1, 2023