RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, ASSUMPTION OF RISKS, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT (HEREINAFTER THE “RELEASE AGREEMENT”)
BY SIGNING THE RELEASE AGREEMENT YOU WILL WAIVE OR GIVE UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE OR CLAIM COMPENSATION FOLLOWING AN ACCIDENT
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT SHALL APPLY TO ALL FUTURE PARTICIPATION IN WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES
BIG RED CATS INC, THE MANUFACTURER AND THE DISTRIBUTOR OF THE AVALANCHE AIRBAG SYSTEM, HIS MAJESTY THE KING, IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, and their respective directors, officers, employees, guides, agents, independent contractors, subcontractors, representatives, successors, assigns, other guests and all cat skiing participants (all of whom are hereinafter collectively referred to as the “Releasees").
In this Release Agreement, the term "wilderness activities" shall include all activities, accommodation, transportation, events, and services provided, arranged, organized, conducted, sponsored, or authorized by the Releasees and shall include but are not limited to: skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, hiking, snowshoeing and other forms of backcountry travel; rental or use of skis, snowboards or other equipment; demonstrations; orientational and instructional courses; loading, unloading, and travel by or movement in or around helicopters, snowcats, snowmobiles, and motor vehicles; and other activities, events, and services in any way connected with or related to wilderness activities.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS - AVALANCHES, ALPINE TERRAIN, WILDERNESS TRAVEL, WEATHER ETC. I am aware that wilderness activities involve risks, dangers, and hazards. Avalanches occur frequently in the terrain used for wilderness activities and may be caused by natural forces or by persons traveling through the terrain. I acknowledge and accept that the Releasees may fail to predict whether the alpine terrain is safe for wilderness activities or whether an avalanche may occur. The terrain used for wilderness activities is uncontrolled, unmarked, not inspected, and involves many risks, dangers, and hazards in addition to that of an avalanche. These may include, but are not limited to: cornices; crevasses; cliffs; trees, tree wells, and tree stumps; creeks; rocks; boulders; forest deadfall; holes and depressions on or below the snow surface; cliffs; variable and difficult snow conditions; snowcat roads and road banks, fences, sled tracks, and other man-made structures; snow immersion; impact or collision with other persons, vehicles or objects; encounters with domestic or wild animals; loss of balance or control; slips, trips and falls; becoming lost or separated from one’s party or guide; infectious disease contracted through viruses, bacteria, parasites, and fungi which may be transmitted through direct or indirect contact,; negligent first aid; negligence of other persons, including other guests; and NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS, AND HAZARDS OF WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES. Communication in the alpine terrain is difficult and in the event of an accident, rescue and medical treatment may not be available. Alpine weather conditions may be extreme and can change rapidly and without warning, making travel by helicopter, snowcat, or snowmobile hazardous.
I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS, DANGERS, AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES AND I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, DANGERS, AND HAZARDS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM.
NOTICE TO SNOWBOARDERS, TELEMARK SKIERS, AND USERS OF PIN/TECH BINDING - INCREASED RISK
Unlike alpine ski boot/binding systems, snowboard and some telemark boot/binding and tech/pin binding systems are not designed or intended to release and will not release under normal circumstances. The use of a safety strap or retention device by snowboarders or telemark skiers without ski brakes will increase the risk of not surviving an avalanche.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
In consideration of THE RELEASEES allowing me to participate in wilderness activities, I hereby agree as follows:
1. TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against THE RELEASEES and TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense, or injury including death that I may suffer or that my next of kin may suffer as a result of my participation in wilderness activities, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER THE OCCUPIERS LIABILITY ACT, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 337, ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS, AND HAZARDS OF WILDERNESS ACTIVITIES REFERRED TO ABOVE;
2. TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in wilderness activities;
3. This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns, and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
4. This Release Agreement and any rights, duties, and obligations between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia and no other jurisdiction; and
5. Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within the Province of British Columbia and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Province of British Columbia.
In entering into this Release Agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of wilderness activities, other than what is set forth in this Release Agreement.
I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES.
Today's Date: December 6, 2023